Wednesday 19 October 2016

Wraps - any way you like

Wraps were designed by a very creative woman, who was dog tired from chasing kids, her husband, working and having it all, all day long. She came home, poured a glass of wine and thought, "What can I fix for dinner that is already in the fridge, and uses the ingredients in my cupboard?"

Only kidding. 

But that's what happened to me last night, and it got me thinking - almost anything can go on a wrap.

We had chicken, tomatoes, cucumber, avocado last night. Oh and of course, as my kids say - when all else fails - add cheese. There is also mince, with tomatoes, onions and peppers. Or what about roasted vegetables, with some feta or halloumi, if you have it?




That part's easy. It's the wraps that aren't always. And I don't know about you, but I almost never have them in my cupboard/freezer.

There are so many good recipes. And depending on your mood, and what's in your cupboard, it can be complex and intricate, or simple and straightforward.

Here are three to inspire you.

1. Dead easy peasy - the one I usually revert to. (Makes 4/8/16 with 1/2/3 cups of flour).




1 cup flour, half cup yoghurt. (Double or triple this, if you want lunch tomorrow/leftovers). Combine in a hand mixer, or by mixing in a bowl and leave to stand while you make a cup of tea (or another glass of wine). If you're really feeling inspired, you can add a splash of olive oil, and some herbs/spices that take your fancy - cayenne pepper if the kids have given you a hard day. 

Once you've finished your tea/wine and plotting their early bedtime, roll the dough into balls - and then flatten into rounds on a floured surface with a rolling pin/baseball bat, while planning your husband's departure from this life. 

Use a heavy bottomed pan to fry them - I do this "dry", but spray the pan, if you're worried.

Let everyone choose their own toppings and assemble their own wraps - you're done now.



2. Moderately time and ingredient-consuming. (Makes 16)


Combine 3 cups flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder and salt substitute/seasoning into a bowl of a mixer with a dough hook. Add 125ml olive oil and a cup of warm water while mixer is running and "knead" for a minute. Check it's coming together, and scrape the bowl, if necessary. Knead for another minute. Divide into portions (2, then 4 then 8 then 16), then roll into balls and leave for about 15 minutes - that's two cups of tea. Then fry as above.


Freeze the leftovers, after you've made your sweet darling kids their lunch for tomorrow, and packed a special treat for your husband.

3. Banting cauli-wraps. I made these day after day until I sort of got them right. I don't bother anymore. I buy them ready-made or use one of the above. I can guarantee you that yours will look nothing like the picture, mine never do.




1 cauliflower (or 500g), 6 tablespoons psyllium husks, 2 eggs, pinch salt/seasoning, Almond/coconut flour.

Cook the cauliflower and drain and squeeze out the moisture. I'm told this is the trick - get it dry. What I didn't ever try was baking the cauliflower - which I think should result in drier, but you probably still have to squeeze in paper towels. Blend using a stick blender and add eggs and psyllium husks. Blend again, and again.

Leave to stand for 15 minutes.

"Roll" into balls and then gently (swearing under your breath) roll out into flat shapes. Very gently. This is the part that, if you got all the other bits right, will come together. It never did for me. Have another glass of wine and remember to buy these next time.

Here're some more recipes.
SaveSave
SaveSave

No comments: