Friday 21 October 2016

Friday Books - Commonwealth

It's Friday, pouring with rain, and we're in for a weekend of reading in bed. Hooray.

Friday also means we get to link up with tother bloggers and share our favourite things - books.


BookBeginnings, hosted by Rose City Reader, and The Friday 56 - hosted by Freda’s Voice are where you'll find them. Both involve sharing excerpts from a current book - the beginning and - you guessed it - page 56.


My Book this week is  - Commonwealth by Ann Patchett






Isn't that a pretty cover? 

Things hot up at the christening party when Beverly, Fix's wife, attracts Albert's attention. Albert is there to escape the chaos back home of his wife and four children. Everyone fetches oranges from the endless supply in their back gardens (in California), and on the way they grab the gin/vodka from the cabinet.





I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was my first Ann Patchett, and won't be my last. Here's my review.

Which cover do you like?

Tell me what you're reading in the comments, and I'll pay you a visit. 

Happy reading everyone.

10 comments:

Lauren Stoolfire said...

I'll definitely have to try Ann Pratchett one of these days.

Unknown said...

I'm with Lauren. And I'm wondering how I missed this author!

My Friday 56 from One Of Windsor

fredamans said...

Sounds like a great read!
You'll notice most people have yet to visit or went to the review post. You added the wrong link. I corrected it. Happy weekend!

Bev Bouwer said...

Thank you so much! Sorry about that. Happy weekend.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I plan to read this one next...or very soon. I love the sound of it...and I adore the second cover you showed us. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

Sandra Nachlinger said...

That's a great opening. I'm curious about how the party "took a turn" but can imagine that gin livened up the party! I like the cover with leaves and ... peaches? oranges? ... best.
My Friday post features The Midwife of Hope River.

Unknown said...

interesting book, Happy reading! Here is my 56: http://shoshireads.weebly.com/home/friday-566874505

Marie - Pages To Explore said...

Thanks for visiting my blog!
I've never heard of this author, the blurbs are interesting. Might have to look for more of her books.
Marie @ Pages to Explore

Alicia @ A Kernel of Nonsense said...

I don't think I'd ever disappear without my dog, so I think that indicates the character left voluntarily. Happy weekend!

Glenna said...

When Albert arrived with gin... made me laugh out loud! I think the cover is very pretty too!