Tuesday 18 October 2016

Commonwealth by Ann Patchett



 My first Ann Patchett novel. I'm so glad I fixed that.What a treat, a joy, an escape. From the Goodreads blurb...

"It is 1964: Bert Cousins, the deputy District Attorney, shows up at Franny Keating’s christening party uninvited, bottle of gin in hand. As the cops of Los Angeles drink, talk and dance into the June afternoon, he notices a heart-stoppingly beautiful woman. "


That's really all you need to start this book. Set in California and Virginia, from those opening lines, you are plunged into scenes with wonderfully engaging characters - lots of them - well, it is a party after all.  They dance, drink, fall in love, raise children, and so Commonwealth exists.

Bert is married to Teresa and they have four children. Franny is the younger sibling to Caroline,  Beverly and Fix Keating their parents. But all this is turned on its head at the infamous christening party. Switching effortlessly from 1964 to much later, the children, all grown up now, hold us in to the chronicle of life, which has moments of delight, hilarity - drama and heartbreak too.


So true to life, it hurts as it pleases. The only thing wrong was that it had to end. I could have done with double the time with these people who have entered into my head, my heart and become part of my family.


This will not be the last Ann Patchett book I read.


Quirky and warm, this is a great story.


ISBN: 9781408880401


You may also enjoy the Blue Ann(e)s - Blue Shoe by Ann Lamott or A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler.


More reviews.
SaveSave

11 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I plan to read this one soon...it is waiting for me on Pippa, my Kindle. Thanks for sharing.

Lauren Stoolfire said...

One of these days ill try Ann Pratchett. :)

Bev Bouwer said...

Haha I think I've said the same or similar thing on your blog!

sherry fundin said...

Haven't read any of her work yet, but I'm glad you are enjoying it.
sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

karen said...

I've had a few of Pratchett's sitting on my shelf for eons! Some day I'll actually get around to reading one :)

Sandra Nachlinger said...

Sounds good. I haven't read anything by this author, but it sounds like I need to get one of her books.
My Friday post features The Midwife of Hope River.

Breana M. said...

I've never read anything by this author before, but this book does sound interesting. Thanks for mentioning it. :-)

Bill said...

I am hearing great things about this one from library friends. Enjoy!

Catherine @ Book Club Librarian said...

Hope you enjoy it. I haven't read this one yet, although I've got a copy. Ann Patchett is usually hit or miss for me.

Unknown said...

I keep running across this book! Better check it out:)

My Friday 56 from One Of Windsor

Maria said...

I've seen this around for a little bit now - I'm definitely going to have to read this - here's my Friday meme