Friday 7 October 2016

Friday Book - The Return

Yay yay it's Friday. 

It's Book Blog time.

BookBeginnings, hosted by Rose City Reader, and The Friday 56 - hosted by Freda’s Voice are where you'll find them. Both involve sharing excerpts from a current book - the beginning and - you guessed it - page 56.




The Return by Victoria Hislop



Granada, Spain in 1937, and the city is gripped in a tense civil war. Mercedes is the youngest of four children, her three older brothers - Antonio, Emilio and Ignacio had grown up playing in the streets.




This is Sonia's account - she has returned to Granada in 2001, to dance. She meets Miguel, who tells her the story of the Ramirez family, and the painful history they survived.

I loved this book - I've read Ms. Hislop's The Island and The Thread and thoroughly enjoyed them. Here's my review, if you are curious. A lovely interesting and diverting read.

What are you busy reading? And which cover do you like?

Happy reading everyone.

11 comments:

JLS Hall said...

This one sounds very intriguing. Love the setting and the time period. And a new author for me, too! Thanks so much for sharing.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Oh, yes, what a great era...and an intriguing setting, too. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

Breana M. said...

I've never heard of this book before, but it does sound interesting. I also like the beginning and the 56.

Dual Reads said...

I've never read anything by Hislop before but this definitely looks like a good, atmospheric read!
Here's my Friday Reads

sherry fundin said...

I am not familiar with this author. Thanks for sharing.
sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

Katherine P said...

I haven't read this author before but I love the covers and the sounds of the stories. I know too well how getting caught coming in late feels so I feel for poor Mercedes!

Sandra Nachlinger said...

I almost always enjoy books where a character goes home again. This sounds like a good one. I like the second cover best because it makes me curious. Is that man following her? What is she holding in her hands? Where is she? I'd open the book to find answers to those questions.
Thank you for leaving a comment on my Friday blog post.
Sandy @ TEXAS TWANG

Unknown said...

The cover is every bit as mysterious as the blurb. Sounds intriguing.

My Friday 56 from The Appeal Of Evil

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

Spain in the 1930s. I have never read a book during that time period set in Spain. Hope it is good. My Friday Quotes

fredamans said...

I love both covers and snippets. Sounds like a wonderful read! Happy weekend!

Lauren Stoolfire said...

These sound great and the covers are excellent.

Check out my Friday Linkups.