Wednesday 31 August 2016

Spicy Chickpea and Lentil Fritters

I have looked everywhere for this recipe. And it was in my file - right at the back, misfiled with desserts. As if! I need more vegetarian options, and this is a good one. However, it's got gluten, which is a problem for me. So I'm going to try it out tonight and use chickpea flour, rather than breadcrumbs - I'll let you know, sure it's just as delicious.

30 ml olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic , crushed
400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
400g can lentils, rinsed and drained
5ml ground cumin
5ml ground coriander
1 carrot, grated
250ml breadcrumbs/chickpea flour/buckwheat flour
30 ml fresh parsley
30 ml fresh coriander
1 egg, beaten

Heat half the oil in a pan. Saute onion and garlic together for 5 minutes over low heat. Place onions, lentils, chickpeas, spices, carrot, breadcrumbs into a bowl and mash. Add parsley, coriander and other seasonings to taste. Add beaten egg. Form into shapes - rounds or fingers, whatever your preference. Fry for 3 minutes per side in frying pan with rest of oil.

Dip in sweet chilli sauce or tzatziki and serve with a green salad.

Enjoy.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

yum! Gonna try this :)

Bev Bouwer said...

It was yum, even with the chickpea flour. And I used grated zucchini instead of carrot, because we were all out of carrots.