Wednesday 10 August 2016

Another day, another diet

Sigh. Another diet. I can hear your intake of breath and see your eyeroll. I know. 

In my defense, it's not for weight loss, it's to try to eliminate this last bit of infection I'm trying to get rid of. And under MD and dietician's advice. It's by far the worst I've had so far. No carbs (except a small bit of potato, and brown rice), no sugar, and wait for it - no dairy. Right there, that's the killer. I love my tea, with a splash of milk. No splash. All together now - sigh.

I'm digging deep for dinner plans. And I saw this on twopeasandtheirpod.com - which is a great site for recipes. It's for dinner tonight, with a piece of seared salmon. I'll be skipping the parmesan - but you go right ahead - have my share. Enjoy.

Zucchini Noodles with pesto and baby tomatoes - add salmon


4 small zucchini, ends trimmed
2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
2 cloves garlic
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Cherry or grape tomatoes, optional



Use a julienne peeler to slice the zucchini into noodles. (I'll be buying my zucchini already julienned from the local store - see you there!) Add to a pan with some coconut or other oil and fry gently.

Combine the basil and garlic in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor is on. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula. Add the lemon juice and Parmesan cheese. Pulse until blended. Season. (This is the basil pesto.)

Combine the zucchini noodles and pesto. Toss until zucchini noodles are well coated. Top with tomatoes, if using. Serve at room temperature or chilled, if you didn't cook the zucchini, or warm if you did. You can do either.

Add salmon.

No comments: