Thursday 18 August 2016

Friday Books - Wasted

On Fridays I participate in BookBeginnings, hosted by Rose City Reader, and The Friday 56 - hosted by Freda’s Voice. Both involve sharing excerpts from a current book - the beginning and - you guessed it - page 56.

This week's book-





Click the cover for the Goodreads blurb.



My name is Nathan Lucius. I sleep with the light on.

I buy old photographs of people I don't know. I give them names and arrange them into a family tree on my wall. This means I can have a new family whenever I want.



Here's my P56 (or 57, in this case)

The inertia is not just mine. It's like a thick wet blanket over everyone. I go to Eric's on my own and watch him draw the same old alpine scene while we discuss the heat. It's a silly conversation. Sometimes words are easier than silence.



This book looks a little hectic. But it is short, so I think I can read it quickly. It also looks like it may torment me a little, so I may have to put it down for a while - have you ever done that? Just can't carry on reading, and have to distract yourself with another book.

Tell me what you're reading, and I'll pay you a visit.

Happy weekend everyone.
SaveSave

13 comments:

Breana M. said...

Seems like an okay book. Enjoy. :-)

sherry fundin said...

Yeah, sometimes I am not in the mood for a certain book and distract myself with something I know I will like, thinking I'll come back to the first one. Do I come back? Most of the time.
sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

catherine.healey@gmail.com said...

The narrator pulls you in immediately.

Kathy Martin said...

Sounds a little strange. I hope you are enjoying it. This week I am spotlighting The Crepes of Wrath by Sarah Fox. Happy reading!

Unknown said...

Yep. I've had to set aside a book to catch my breath and thoughts. I need to check this one out.

My Friday 56 from Pandemic

Maria said...

It does seem a little heavy - the beginning makes me sad - and yes I have put books down because they wear me out emotionally and have come back to them after I've re-charged with another book. Thanks for visiting my Friday meme earlier

Katherine P said...

The picture thing is definitely different but makes me want to know more about the character! Plus I like the 56. Hope the chaos doesn't get overwhelming and you enjoy the book!

fredamans said...

That beginning really pulled me in. Makes you wonder why the disconnect from his own clan...
Happy weekend!

Sandra Nachlinger said...

Lucius sounds like an interesting and complex character. The opening makes me want to know what makes him tick.
Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog today.
Sandy @ TEXAS TWANG

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

The narrator made me feel a little sad, with his families created from photographs of others. But it drew me into the story. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

Elza Reads said...

Something about this reminds me of A Little Life, can't really say why. Think this can be a great read! Thanks for sharing. Here's my Friday Meets: http://marelithalkink.blogspot.co.za/2016/08/friday-meets-19-august-2016.html

Bev Bouwer said...

You are right, Mareli. Except it's a lot shorter. Thank goodness. Thanks for the visit.

Nicole said...

I am not sure what I think of this book. The snippet did not draw me in too much.
Usually I will finish the book I am reading before going to another one. I just have a hard time focusing on another book until I know the end of the one I am currently reading even if it is not the type I was really wanting.