Friday 7 April 2017

Friday Books - Southern Ruby

Happy Friday everyone! So glad you stopped by to check out what I'm reading. And if you leave me a comment I'll visit you back.

BookBeginnings, hosted by Rose City Reader, and The Friday 56 - hosted by Freda’s Voice are the hosting sites for the Friday link ups, where we discover more books, and make friends. Both involve sharing excerpts from a current book - the beginning and - you guessed it - page 56.






What am I reading? Well, I'm so glad you asked. It's 


Here's the cover





Book Beginning

On Friday the 17th September at 11.20 am, my life changed forever. I was standing in the master bedroom of a house in Mossman, staring at the queen-sized bed, and deciding whether to dress it in neutral colours, or go lavish with a silver beaded satin throw, when my mobile phone rang, giving me a start.


My thoughts - I have this as an Audible read. It's long - over 20 hours. And I can't find a Kindle/hard copy version anywhere. So it is taking forever. The narrator is lovely, but the descriptive passages are just sooo long. I'm seriously considering abandoning Southern Ruby. And I don't do that. Ever.

Page 56

He grinned at my confusion. "You see, I live here. This is my house." A flush of heat burned my cheeks and my spine stiffened. I suddenly felt foolish and forced a laugh to hide my embarrassment. I'd been telling full-sinned horrific stories about his home, but I still resented his playing with me.

Confession - since this is the audible version, I have no clue what page this is. But I'm about 2 hours in, and since the Goodreads site tells me its 521 pages, I reckon that's close enough to page 56? I did just pick it up and type out the very next sentence, so it is random. 

Ruby has been leading tours of New Orleans - telling made up ghost stories about all the homes there - to earn some much needed cash. Now she's been outed.

So dear fellow readers, what do I do? Cut my losses and try something else? Or keep going, hoping it'll pick up? Or find an ebook version? Reading it will definitely be faster. I can't find a Kindle ebook version - if any of you can help, that'd be great.

What're you reading today - tell me in the comments below.

Thanks for visiting. Have a glorious weekend.

11 comments:

Breana M. said...

I don't know why but the only version that seems to be available is the audiobook, which is kind of odd. Enjoy your current read.

Nadene @Ttly Addicted 2 Reading said...

Currently, i am reading Illicit by Ava harriso, however my Friday 56 is on a different book. Here is my post
http://totallyaddictedtoreading.blogspot.com/2017/04/friday-meme.html

Kathy Martin said...

Sounds good. This week I am reading Alice & the Assassin by R. J. Koreto - a historical mystery. Happy reading!

Lisa Ks Book Reviews said...

If reading it, I would almost say to let it go. But since you're listening to it and you can do that while doing other things, I'd give it a bit longer. I'd love for you and your readers to check out mine . . . http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsTTT

Unknown said...

Too bad you can't find a format you can read. It does sound interesting and I'd like to read the book.

My Friday 56 from H.P. Lovecraft's Favorite Weird Tales

sherry fundin said...

That's odd it's only in audio. It sounds good but...there are so many books out there, it's hard to stick with one you are not enjoying.
sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Oh, the story sounds intriguing...but there is no way I could take on an audio version of anything. I'm not a fan of audio...mainly because I need to "see" the words...and it does take a lot longer to listen than to read.

Whatever you decide...thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

Roberta said...

For a couple of reasons I vote for moving on. For example, in the first line the author reveals all, rather than hinting and luring the reader in.

Too many books, too little time...

Elizabeth said...

Love the cover....I hope you are enjoying the book.

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
My Book Beginnings

fredamans said...

Beautiful cover! Happy weekend!

Tangled N Books said...

Enjoy your read :)

Check out my Friday 56

http://tanglednbooks.blogspot.com/2017/04/friday-56-april-7-2017.html