Monday 10 April 2017

Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff

From Goodreads:
"Every story has two sides.
Every relationship has two perspectives.
And sometimes, it turns out, the key to a great marriage is not its truths but its secrets.

At age twenty-two, Lotto and Mathilde are tall, glamorous, madly in love and destined for greatness. A decade later, their marriage is still the envy of their friends, but behind closed doors things are even more complicated and remarkable than they have seemed."

I found this a little confusing at first, and it took some time to get into. Once in, I was gripped. Part one is from gorgeous Lotto's perspective and part 2 from beautiful Mathilde's. As suggested in the blurb, absurdly different. I preferred reading Part 2. Secrets from the past kept emerging, and the plot moved forward, shockingly at times. 

I enjoyed this book, but felt that it was way above my level of reading genius. I think I missed most of the  links to the clever plays Lotto wrote, the references to the mythology. A bit too highfalutin for my liking, but pleasurable, nevertheless.

4 stars

ISBN:9780099592532

You may also enjoy Commonwealth by Ann Patchett or Faithful by Alice Hoffman.

1 comment:

Dual Reads said...

Sounds interesting! I'll have to check it out!
Just thought I'd let you know my new link up Monday Highlights is now up!