Friday 11 November 2016

Friday Books - Small Great Things

It's Friday already. Nearly the weekend. And perhaps I'll get some reading done?

Friday also means we get to link up with other bloggers and share our favourite things - books.

BookBeginnings, hosted by Rose City Reader and Friday56, hosted by Freda's Voice, are where you'll find them, and the rules are easy - share the beginning and p56.


My Book this week is Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult







I love this opening scene. When you're a child, you can't tell if you got the nightmares because of the gargoyles, or whether the gargoyles were in your nightmares, and then appeared on the house. I remember that kind of terrified.







I know this is a long excerpt, but one of the best things about this book is the dialogue, and you needed the detail to get the last comment.




Imagine having three covers for a book? I like the one on the left and the right, the middle one has the wrong feel for me. If you click the image, it'll take you to the Goodreads blurb.

The book is great - I always enjoy Jodi Picoult, as long as I don't read her books back to back. She always makes me think, and judge, and then change my mind, and question, and I like that.

Tell me what you're reading in the comments, and I'll pay you a visit.

Happy reading everyone.

8 comments:

Breana M. said...

Enjoy your current read! :-)

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I loved this book! Mine had the cover on the left, but I love the one in the middle.

Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “ECHOES OF FAMILY”

fredamans said...

Sounds like a great read! Happy weekend!

Betwixt the Pages said...

That pg 56 excerpt, though--so poignant and powerful, oh my penguins. I read a LOT of Jodi Picoult in the past, but haven't picked her up in a while now. I should probably fix that at some point; maybe with this book! Thanks so so much for sharing!

Here's my Friday 56 if you're interested in checking it out, though no pressure or worries if you're not! Happy book-ing to you, and happy Friday! Stay rockin'! <3

Unknown said...

This book sounds intruiging! I hope you enjoy it!

Here is my 56: http://shoshireads.weebly.com/home/friday-569548264

Roberta Gibson said...

I recently watched a webcast of Jodi Picoult discussing the writing process for the book and all the research she did. I'm not surprised the dialogue is good, because she did quite a few face-to-face interviews prior to writing it.

I'm reading Shutter Island, which is part of a challenge to read the 100 books chosen to be the best of the bestsellers in the book The Bestseller Code.

http://blog.robertagibsonwrites.com/2016/11/11/bookbeginnings-dennis-lehanes-shutter-island/

Bev Bouwer said...

You are right. She says so at the back of the book, too. It makes her writing so much stronger. I love that. Thanks for the comment. On my way to visit you now.

Lauren Stoolfire said...

I've been eyeing this at the library! Happy reading!