Sunday 20 November 2016

Faithful as a Dandelion?


It's Sunday. Time to think and be.

I was pondering God's faithfulness this morning. The old hymn "Great is Thy Faithfulness" is my all time favourite, and I was listening to, and thinking about the words, and wondering whether to write this post.

The story about the hymn isn't really a dramatic one. Thomas Obediah Chisholm was born in a log cabin in Kentucky. He wrote this:

"My income has never been large at any time due to impaired health in the earlier years which has followed me until now. But I must not fail to record here the unfailing faithfulness of a covenant keeping God and that He has given me many wonderful displays of His providing care, which have filled me with astonishing gratefulness."

The flower that has the meaning of faithfulness is, surprisingly to me, the dandelion. Really? That's a bit silly, isn't it? Dandelions are flighty, fall apart in your hands, gone in a breath. Not all that faithful.



   


This little yellow, pesky, pop-up-on-your-lawn delight has a meaning that is noble, enduring, and much bigger than its humble and simple appearance.

Faithfulness is simple. It is easy to explain. God's faithfulness is always there. Ours, not so much. It's not easy, but it is simple. It's the every day putting ourselves in God's way, and opening our hearts to serve His purpose. One day at a time.

In a fairly ordinary life, Thomas Obediah Chisholm discovered the "morning by morning" faithfulness of God sustained him. May we find that sustenance too. Did you know you can eat dandelions? Maybe not such a misnomer after all?

Here's the hymn.




Happy Sunday.

You may also enjoy








2 comments:

Unknown said...

So enjoy yr posts bev

Bev Bouwer said...

Thank you so much. I love getting feedback.