Friday 8 April 2016

Ten of the Best #40

Welcome to the wonderful weekend, people. How do I know it's going to be wonderful? A couple of reasons (and when I say couple, I don't mean two, I mean a few more):

I am feeling so much better. After some nasty and better-not-described ailments. 

It was Book Club this week, which means I got four lovely books to take away with me.

And yes, we are about to go away. So I'm looking forward to some lovely down-time at the sea.

Before that though, we've got the wonderful weekend ahead. And some reading and watching off our (well my, to be honest) social media feeds.

Here's what you need to do. Creep quietly into the kitchen, so as not to wake the wifi-hogging teens. Make yourself a cup of tea. Crawl back under the comfy duvet and snuggle in for the entertaining and newsy articles and clips I've collected. Oh, and you may recognize some that you've shared with me - thank you very much, you made my week that much more enjoyable.

And for your added viewing pleasure, it's a Zuma-free zone. I may blog about that later this weekend, but right here, on this post - he has fallen. So has Trump. We are sick of the both of them.

Ok, let's get to it, shall we?

Two identical twins. Both want to lose weight. One stops eating carbs (including sugar), the other stops eating fat. Guess what happened? Or read it by clicking the picture, Very interesting.


.
It’s official. I love mash ups. I think I may have used that line here before.
Don't know what a mash up is? Here’s a clue - this is a mash up of four of my favourite hymns. Sung by Anthem Lights, with accompaniment by the instrument that's the easiest on the ears. Good stuff.


Here's one for all the non-South Africans. It's all those catch phrases that we South Africans use, without ever explaining them. You may spend quite a long time on this. There are loads of clips, and they're all worth watching. Don't forget to come back. Interesting how many of these come from the world of advertising. A long time back. 



In this next clip, children describe intense emotions, using amazing vocabulary and imagery. They also explain how to control these better. It's beautiful, and helpful. I loved it. There is also an article, which you can read here.





Helen Moffett rants about feminism and why she is so angry. Trouble is, she's right. And now I'm angry too. Helen, there's an interesting clip about controlling those emotions just above. Oh dear, I need to watch too. Again. Sigh.


This clip nearly made my little brain explode. It's that interesting. I'm not saying anything. Except couscous, maths and music.


In other news, we found another use for the paper clip, people.


This is a short TED talk. It will inspire you if you have a dream that you haven't quite reached yet. It's titled "Success, Failure and the Drive to Keep Creating ". By Elizabeth Gilbert, who wrote Eat, Pray,Love. But don't let that put you off. It wasn't my favourite book,  either, but I thoroughly enjoyed this post.


The book post. Ever read a book that scared you silly? Just think about how that happened? No pictures, no sounds. Just the words, and what was in your head already. Ok, I bet now you're really scared. Because sometimes what we see in our heads is way worse than real life. Here are the books that started those irrational fears.


And lastly, how to write about Africa. Not. From someone who knows. Binyavanga Wainaina. Nice job.


I told you it was going to be a great weekend. 

Here's the link to last week.


And from 2015.

No comments: