Friday 1 April 2016

Friday Book Avenue


BookBeginnings is a weekly meme, hosted by Rose City Reader. To participate, share the opening lines and your thoughts about a book you're reading, or about to.


Beginning: P1
What Juan Diego always maintained  was that, in his mind - in his memories, certainly, but also in his dreams - he lived and relived his lives on "parallel tracks". A dear friend of Juan Diego's - she was also his doctor - teased him about the so-called parallel tracks. She told him he was always a kid from Mexico all the time or a grown up from Iowa all the time. Juan Diego could be an argumentative person, but he agreed with her about that.
My thoughts:

This is a book in which Juan Diego's memories and his real life experiences, as a fairly famous author, combine to tell a story. John Irving is a great story teller. Quirky, and full of really quotable passages, I'm about halfway through and really enjoying this book.

The Friday 56 is hosted by Freda’s Voice every Friday. 

How it works is you...Grab a book, any book. Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader (If you have to improvise, that's ok.) Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it)

Here's my P56


Juan Diego wrongly surmised that he was alone in noticing that the Christ Child was missing from the creche - or buried, perhaps smothered, in the hay. "The baby Jesus - " he started to say.


"Someone kidnapped the Holy Infant years ago." Dorothy explained. "I don't think the Hong Kong Chinese care."

Dorothy and her daughter, who Juan Diego meet on his travels, go on to debate whether the Baby Jesus is getting (or needs) a facelift, and then Juan Diego weighs in with his views on the Catholic Church cosmetically enhancing itself. I found it all highly amusing.

Here's the cover:



I'm sure I'll finish this weekend, if not tonight.

Tell me what you're reading, and I'll pay you a friendly visit. Happy reading everyone.

P.S. I've finished - here's my review.

21 comments:

Whitney said...

I can tell that John Irving is a great story teller just from the small passages you shared. They are so vibrant and want to know more.

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

Is this the John Irving of Cider House Rules fame? It sounds kind of quirky which makes me think it is. How did you like it? My TTT

Lauren Stoolfire said...

I really like the sound of this one - hope you like it! :)

Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings).

sherry fundin said...

I'm not sure what to think. Maybe it's too early and I need coffee. :-)
sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I've never heard of this one! Intriguing....thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

Unknown said...

Sounds interesting and that cover sure grabbed me.

My Friday 56

Kathy Martin said...

I hope you enjoy this one. It doesn't seem like it is one for me. I am featuring Hold Your Breath by Katie Ruggle this week. Happy reading!

Bev Bouwer said...

Thanks and thank for the visit.

Bev Bouwer said...

Yes it is one and the same, Anne. I loved Cider House Rules. This one's also good.

Maria said...

I've never read anything by this author - I enjoyed the passages though so I'll have to look him up. Here's my Friday meme

Elizabeth said...

I hope you are enjoying your book.

Have a wonderful weekend or reading.

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

guiltlessreader said...

I was going to ask the same thing! I'd definitely read it based on the snippets!

fredamans said...

Juan Diego sounds like a fascinating character! Happy weekend!

Bev Bouwer said...

It's not everyone's thing. Enjoy yours.

Bev Bouwer said...

Pleasure - same to you.

Bev Bouwer said...

I do like the uniqueness of his novels.

Bev Bouwer said...

I did - thank you for stopping by.

Bev Bouwer said...

Hold your breath looks very good, enjoy.

Bev Bouwer said...

Thanks Maria - I like the look of your book too.

Bev Bouwer said...

I did - enjoy your week, and hope you find some time to read.

Bev Bouwer said...

He was absorbing. Really enjoyed the book. Thanks Freda.