Monday 30 July 2018

No excuses


I'm sitting in bed, trying to get inspired to run this morning, and what do I find? A post I wrote in November 2015, when I was recovering from major surgery. It's titled No More Excuses.

[It's reproduced here with my own permission]

"So here it is. Monday. The day that I start the week running. And what am I doing? Sitting in bed. Sigh.

There are always reasons not to run. Most of them are excuses, not reasons. But every now and then, there are some real reasons. And if we run anyway, we will probably be sorry later. Today is one of those.

So, to make myself feel better, because I genuinely honestly truly would rather be running than writing this post, I thought I’d write something to inspire you all to get moving. Those excuses that you’re making right now. Here’s why they’re not valid. I see you wanting to find something else to look at. Don't do it. Keep reading.


EXCUSE #1      I am so unfit/overweight. Just getting out there and walking or running is good for you. 




Stop thinking about it, get into the exercise clothes, chanting “it doesn’t matter how fast I go, or how far, I’m just going to run.”

EXCUSE #2: I don't have the time. “I have to run, I need the head space,” was what a fellow fitness fanatic said to me a few weeks ago. It’s true. Moving about has a strange way of decluttering the mind. You will see things more clearly and solve problems you didn’t think you could. The time you spend exercising will be paid back in much more effective working, whatever it is you do.

EXCUSE #3. I’m too down/sick to run. Exercise regulates and balances the multitude of chemicals and hormones in our brain that directly affect our mood, specifically depression. Chances are also good that you will want to run tomorrow. And the next day and the next. 



EXCUSE #4. I can’t face a run, it’s just too much for me. You don't have to. What about a walk? We’ve learned that any exercise is better than none. Those reasons that you can’t run? Maybe you can walk? Or start running slowly, and let yourself walk when you cannot anymore. 



EXCUSE #5: I just don’t feel like it. Take someone else with you. It helps. Whether it’s a pet, or a talking friend, use it as an opportunity to socialize. Or even plan a stop at a favourite place to get a coffee, or a water. Plan to enjoy your run, you know you’re going to. Just look at that face.


So off you go. Enjoy. And think of me, dying to run, but cooped up in bed for the day, when I'd much rather be running."

And funnily enough, more than the "no excuses" inspired me to go today, that old post was the biggest motivation of all. Because you see, when I wanted to, I couldn't and now I can, so I definitely should.

Come with me. Here's our music. It's Megan Trainor. No Excuses.


Last week's motivation - Monday Meeting

No comments: