Friday 13 July 2018

Friday Books - The Paris Secret

Hey hey, it's Friday. So glad about that, it's time to share about books.

At Book Beginningshosted by Rose City Reader, you share the first line, and  a few thoughts about the book.


Today I'm featuring The Paris Secret by Karen Swan. Here's the beginning.




"Somewhere along the cobbled streets of Paris, an apartment lies thick with dust and secrets: full of priceless artworks hidden away for decades.

High-flying fine art agent Flora from London, more comfortable with the tension of a million-pound auction than a cosy candlelit dinner for two, is called in to assess these suddenly discovered treasures. As an expert in her field, she must trace the history of each painting and discover who has concealed them for so long.

Thrown in amongst the glamorous Vermeil family as they move between Paris and Antibes, Flora begins to discover that things aren't all that they seem, while back at home her own family is recoiling from a seismic shock. The terse and brooding Xavier Vermeil seems intent on forcing Flora out of his family's affairs - but just what is he hiding?"




At Freda's Voice, you'll find the Friday56, where the excerpt comes from page 56 or 56% in your Kindle.


Here's page 56 of The Paris Secret by Karen Swan.





I'm only this far into the book. I'm struggling to get into it. I'm not sure why. It's interesting, but the characters haven't grabbed me yet. Would you keep reading?


Hope you all have lots of reading plans for the weekend.  Leave me a comment with what you're featuring and I'll check it out.

13 comments:

collettakay said...

It does sound interesting. I say keep reading and see what happens. Thanks for stopping by!

Colletta

Lisbeth said...

The story sounds interesting enough, love these kind of dramas, as do the quotes. I would probably try it out.

Tea said...

My goodness, the writing is as pretty as I picture Paris. The word "bearded" takes my breath away. I've never seen that word used to describe the sky.

Catherine @ Book Club Librarian said...

I love novels set in Paris, so I'd definitely keep reading. Hope it turns into a great read for you.

Girl Who Reads said...

I love the descriptive language of the opening. It sounds like a great read. Hopefully, it is just one of those slow to start reads and you end up loving it. See what we are featuring at Girl Who Reads

Roberta said...

Anything with a Paris setting will grab my attention, but the setting can't overpower the story. Hope it picks up for you.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Ooh, Paris and art work hiding away...sounds great! Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “THE OTHER WIFE”

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I would agree. WHY is the apartment, with valuable art inside, board up and dusty? Bet you will find out. My Frida Quotes - The Prince and the Dressmaker

Nicki J. Markus / Asta Idonea said...

Love the descriptive opening. Happy Reading!

fredamans said...

I'm so intrigued. Why was Paris so dark?! Happy weekend!

Lauren Stoolfire said...

I love that cover and the color palette. Thanks for sharing. :)

Lauren @ Always Me

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

This one probably wouldn't appeal to me, if it wasn't for the mention of hidden artworks. I have no affinity with the art world and I certainly have no talent in that direction, however, I am always fascinated by works of art from any period and can spend hours in a gallery or exhibition.

The extracts you shared were also very descriptive, adding to the intrigue of the storyline, so I can't see anything for it, but to add this one to my list.

Some of the other listed books by this author, definitely don't have the same appeal.

I hope that you are enjoying your weekend so far :)

Yvonne
xx

Alicia @ A Kernel of Nonsense said...

What a beautiful beginning. Hope you enjoy your weekend!