Friday 6 July 2018

Friday Books - Someone by Alice McDermott

I love Fridays. Not least because we get to visit each other's blogs and see what everyone else is reading.

At Book Beginningshosted by Rose City Reader, you share the first line, and  a few thoughts about the book.


Today I'm featuring Someone by Alice McDermott. Here's the beginning.





I've had to read and re-read a lot of the first chapter. I just kept feeling as if I'd missed so much. Eventually on about page 40, I stopped doing that, and now it's going more smoothly. Fortunately it's a little book, so I'm sure I won't take that long to finish.




At Freda's Voice, you'll find the Friday56, where the excerpt comes from page 56 or 56% in your Kindle.


Here's page 56.




I'm only this far into the book. I particularly love this scene between Mary and her mother.  What do you think? Would you keep reading?


What are you reading this weekend?  Leave me a comment with what you're featuring and I'll check it out.

14 comments:

Breana M. said...

Someone by Alice McDermott sounds interesting. I hope you enjoy it.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I've enjoyed books by this author, but it has been a while. I'm off to check on this book. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

Lauren Stoolfire said...

Glad you're getting into it more now. :)

Laura said...

Sounds like a clash of wills and I wonder what it is about. Hope you enjoy it:)

My Friday 56 from Dying For A Taste

Sassy Brit @ Alternative-Read.com said...

Sounds good to me! I think I prefer the Pg56. That's very intriguing!

Here is my Book Beginning and Friday56 feature!

Have a great weekend! Luv Sassy x

Roberta said...

I've been told by writing instructors that having a detailed description of your character for the first paragraph is about the same as describing the weather. But, she makes it work.

fredamans said...

Sounds like a great read, and between the two covers, I like the first one best. :-) Happy weekend!

Kathy Martin said...

I hope you enjoy the book. It doesn't sound like something I would like. This week I am spotlighting Shelved Under Murder by Victoria Gilbert. Happy reading!

Catherine @ Book Club Librarian said...

This McDermott novel escaped my notice somehow. I'm going to give it a closer look.

Hallie said...

I haven't heard of this book, but it sounds interesting!

Hallie @ Book by Book

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Never say never for this book, as following the descriptive opening and intense '56, I simply had to check out the full premise and my interest was immediately piqued.

I was definitely left intrigued to discover just how much detail Alice manages to pack into so few pages and whether with so much detail included, the story manages to reach a satisfactory conclusion!

Thanks for sharing and I hope that you enjoy the rest of the book :)

Yvonne
xx

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I think that interaction between mother and daughter is very realistic. My quotes from The Virgin Suicides

Nicki J. Markus / Asta Idonea said...

Hope you're enjoying it now you got some momentum going.

Alicia @ A Kernel of Nonsense said...

I'm certainly intrigued and somewhat trouble by this exchange. Hope you enjoy your weekend!