Friday 29 January 2016

Friday Book Confession


Today is Friday Book Confession... just be patient, you'll see why

BookBeginnings is a weekly meme, hosted by Rose City Reader

To participate, share the opening lines and your thoughts about a book you're reading, or about to.

Beginning:



My Name is Freedom Oliver and I killed my daughter. It's surreal, honestly, and I'm not sure what feels more like a dream, her death or her existence. I'm guilty of both.

Is that not the best Book Beginning? Ever?

Each chapter starts with a "my name is," and a confession. It's kind of the tone of an AA club meeting. Awesome stuff. The protagonist is my favourite so far. She kicks ass. This is Freedom's Child, a debut novel by Jax Miller, who may just be someone to watch.


Now for the Friday56

The Friday 56 is hosted by Freda’s Voice every Friday.
 
The Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader (If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
*Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it)\
*Don’t forget to add your post URL (not your blog url) atFreda’s Voice.

Here's Page 56

"Is George Clooney the one who spins the wheel on Wheel of Fortune?" she asks.
"Yes." I line the buttons up right. "He's a hottie, isn't he?"
"I don't kiss and tell." She winks at me and I wink back. I decide not to explain to her the need to have the coffeepot in the coffee-maker when she turns it on. I decide not to explain to her the need to get dressed after she wakes up.

Same protagonist. The badass one. Yet here she is, helping her elderly neighbour - who is a hoot. She gives her dignity, and really looks out for her.

My confession...I've finished the book. I loved it, and I couldn't stop. So my dilemma - do  I share it, or pick another? I decided to share it anyway. It's that good. 

Here's my review, if you like - no spoilers, promise. Hope some of you decide to try it, it was awesome.

Leave a comment, and I'll visit you over the weekend.

Have a good one.

20 comments:

Lauren Stoolfire said...

I like the sound of those snippets - very intriguing!

Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings).

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

What an excellent opening line. I am so intrigued. My Friday Quotes

karen said...

Gosh ... those are some amazing teasers! I'm definitely going to have to keep my eyes open for this one!
This week I'm using a middle grade book that I started reading and got yelled at for by my son ;)
http://wellreadpiratequeen.blogspot.com/2016/01/book-beginnings-friday56-little-ramble.html

Lisa Ks Book Reviews said...

Yikes, the beginning makes me happy a got along with my dad! And I love the 56! Please check mine out ... http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsDS

Katherine P said...

This does sound good and that's quite a riveting opening! I don't think I would've been able to put it down either.

Kathy Martin said...

That beginning really draws one in. I'll have to add it to my never-ending list. I am spotlighting Blood Cross by Faith Hunter this week. Look for my review tomorrow. Happy reading!

Bev Bouwer said...

Loved your post. Thanks for visiting.

Bev Bouwer said...

Thanks - you too.

Bev Bouwer said...

Thank you. It was definitely not easy to put down. Love those books.

Bev Bouwer said...

Will look out for it. Thanks.

Bev Bouwer said...

Nice - why do our kids do that? I don't yell if they read my books.

Bev Bouwer said...

Loved your 56...they were being handled by this small Southern woman, but they weren't sure what to do about it. Made me laugh.

grammajudyb said...

Both your Beginning and your 56 made me want to watch for this book. I am only reading books from my shelf for the next 2 months, TBR Triple Dog Dare, but as soon as April 1st is here, I am adding this one.

Kim Griffin said...

That is a great beginning! I'm really interested in this one. I'll have to look for it. It sounds really original. Thanks for sharing! Here's my Friday post. Happy reading!

Nicole said...

Fun snippets, what a great way to start chapters.

Amanda said...

Those snippets are intriguing me.
Thanks for sharing!
Amanda

Alicia @ A Kernel of Nonsense said...

You're right, that is one heck of a beginning. Hope you enjoy the weekend!

fredamans said...

Alluring beginning and funny 56! Sounds like a great read!
Happy weekend!

Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

Great beginning! And a good teaser in the middle. Sounds like a fun books.

Thanks for joining in on BBOF!

Carey said...

You definitely help make it sound interesting with your enthusiasm. I've added it to my TBR.