Friday 24 June 2016

Friday Books - Work like any other

On Fridays I participate in BookBeginnings, hosted by Rose City Reader, and The Friday 56 - hosted by Freda’s Voice. Both involve sharing excerpts from a current book - the beginning and - you guessed it - page 56.

This week's book-




Click the cover for the Goodreads blurb.



The electrical transformers that would one day kill George Haskin sat high on a pole about ten yards off the northeast corner of the farm where Roscoe T Martin lived with his family.



Here's my P56



"Roscoe."
"Sheriff."
He took hold of Roscoe's arm,  just above the elbow, firmly, the way Marie's father had at their wedding. "You know why I'm here?"
"Imagine it's about the electricity we have running in."
"That's the start of it."

I'm really not sure about this book. I've started it a couple of times, and not even got to page 56, so I hope I haven't shared a spoiler - I don't think so. 

The book has an ominous undertone, yet it's one of those that may take me a while to finish, and I am waiting for the right time. You know, when you feel like the weekend is a reading weekend - nothing else to do? I'm longing for one of those. Sigh. Not going to happen this weekend...

Tell me what you're reading, and I'll pay you a visit. 

Happy reading everyone.

17 comments:

Catherine @ Book Club Librarian said...

Kind of a strange beginning. I wonder where the tory goes from there.

Sandra Nachlinger said...

The opening definitely makes me curious, and so does the pg 56 excerpt. I'm wondering about the electricity mentioned in both and how it figures in the book's plot. I hope you end up enjoying the story -- whenever you have time to get into it!
My Friday post features THE LITTLE FRENCH GUESTHOUSE.

Breana M. said...

This one seems like it could be good.

Lisa Ks Book Reviews said...

The cover never would have grabbed me. It does seem a bit dark. I'd love for you and your readers to check out mine... http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsTGC

Katherine P said...

That's some serious foreshadowing in the beginning! Poor George. A weekend with nothing to do but read sounds amazing! I think we could all use some of those!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Definitely ominous! But now I'm curious. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

Kathy Martin said...

I'm not sure this one is for me. I hope you end up enjoying it. My book this week is Seconds to Live by Melinda Leigh - a romantic suspense title. Happy reading!

Stormi said...

Not sure it's my type of read but I hope it gets better for you. :)

Unknown said...

The beginning grabbed me. I'd read more to see if I'd like it.

My Friday 56 from Ink and Bone

Unknown said...

I have books like that. I've started them several times until it finally clicks and it ends up being a favorite. Good luck!

Yvonne said...

I haven't heard about this one, but it sounds interesting.

Maria said...

I think both the beginning and the 56 sound pretty interesting - I have a pretty good idea about what's going to happen from the beginning and the 56 - like maybe they are not legally running the electricity ...Thanks for visiting my Friday meme earlier

Sya said...

This is not the usual book I would read but if I read this kind of book, I think I would be interested to know what happened in the story.

Sya @ Bookish Sya

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I hate it when I just can't seem to carve out enough time to read or to get traction on a book. I leave for a vacation on Sunday and I've already started piling up my books because I anticipate some good reading time while the hubby golfs.

gautami tripathy said...

Love your Book Beginning and Friday 56. Sounds interesting...

Glad to here after a very long time!

​Here is my post:

http://readbookswritepoetry.blogspot.in/2016/06/the-friday-56.html​

fredamans said...

I'm intrigued. Why so much power, and how did George get up there to get killed in the first place?? Sounds exciting! Happy weekend!

Lauren Stoolfire said...

This sounds really good! Thanks for sharing!