Tuesday 3 May 2016

The Racketeer by John Grisham

The last John Grisham I read was Gray Mountain, about this time last year. It was ok. Not as great as the stuff from his heyday. I'm trying to work out whether he changed, got boring, or whether other writers just got better.





Malcolm Bannister, our protagonist, is unfairly jailed. For 15 years for something he didn't do. He is halfway through his prison sentence when a judge is murdered. Suddenly Malcolm becomes interesting to the FBI etc. And that's where I am stopping, because no spoilers.

In typical Grisham style, there are a number of plot twists and turns. Malcolm is a fairly solid, likeable chap. Other characters could have been stronger - they all kind of pale a little. The pace is great, but drags a big at the end when the novel is wrapping up.

This was better than the last, and I enjoyed it. It reminded me of his former novels. I will read more, but limit my intake, there is so much else to read that is done better.

A solid 4 stars.

ISBN: 9780385535144


You may also enjoy The Abduction by Mark Gimenez or Close Your Eyes by Michael Robotham.


No comments: