Tuesday 16 February 2016

Close Your Eyes by Michael Robotham

Since this is the 8th in the Joe McLoughlin series, we Robotham junkies have come to know what to expect. And we were not disappointed. The crime is hectic – a mother and her daughter found brutally murdered in a farmhouse. The danger is real – Joe doesn’t want to get involved, as he is reconnecting with his family, but he has to. Then they are drawn into the drama and become too involved, increasing the tension. And my old favourite, Vincent Ruiz, makes an appearance with some classic lines that had me snorting with laughter.

The soft and injured side of Joe – his Parkinson's, his unrequited love for Julianne and his beautiful relationship with his youngest daughter, Emma, provide a lovely counterpoint to the tense crime.

And as this races to its climax and neat resolution, we are completely messed with. I cannot tell – because I DO NOT DO SPOILERS. I’m even worried to tell you that there is one, because…oh never mind.

I am a die-hard fan, not sure if I will ever recover. That was just so wrong of you, Michael Robotham. And I wonder, did you have fun doing it?

Ok, enough said. You’ll have to read it to discover. And I hope I’ve whet your appetite, because the ride is worth every minute.

4 suspenseful stars

ISBN: 9780751552874

You may also enjoy Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter or The Shut Eye by Belinda Bauer or Little Black Lies by Sharon Bolton.

No comments: