Friday 19 February 2016

Friday Book Hero


BookBeginnings is a weekly meme, hosted by Rose City Reader. To participate, share the opening lines and your thoughts about a book you're reading, or about to.


Beginning: 
Nathan Rubin died because he got brave. Not the sustained kind of thing that wins you a medal in a war, but the split-second kind of blurting outrage that gets you killed on the street.
My thoughts:

Lee Child has created the ultimate hero in Jack Reacher. Although these books are not new, the length of the series, combined with that "I know what the read is going to be like" is very attractive, when you've just read something long and heavy. This is from the second - Die Trying - where Jack inadvertently gets involved with the kidnapping of an FBI agent - Holly Johnson. A great read.


The Friday 56 is hosted by Freda’s Voice every Friday. 

How it works is you...Grab a book, any book. Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader (If you have to improvise, that's ok.) Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it)

Here's my P56


Put three professionals together on any one day, and you'll see last night's pizza on one guy's shirt, another guy won't have shaved, the third guy will be wearing the awful old pants his buddies make jokes about behind his back.


I love this - you can see the three men, can't you, even though he hasn't really even described them properly?

Here's the cover - three versions.




So what are you reading this weekend?

15 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I have been curious about this series, so thanks for sharing. Love the description that tells us a lot about the guys.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I keep thinking I will try a Lee Child book but they just keep getting pushed off to the side. I guess I tend to pick sad, depressing book. Don't know why.
My Friday Quotes

karen said...

I've been hearing great things about this series for a while now. Sooner or later I'll try it myself!

Tea said...

I haven't read a Lee Childs yet. Shame. Should read in order?

Kim Griffin said...

I've always been interested in the Jack Reacher books, but never picked one up. The snippets sound interesting. Maybe I'll get to one of these someday. There's just so many books and not enough time. Thanks for visiting my Friday BB & 56! Happy reading!

Bev Bouwer said...

I always prefer to, but in this case, I don't think it is crucial. The first one is called Killing Floor.

Bev Bouwer said...

you are so right - too little time.

Bev Bouwer said...

Thanks for the visit - your shares are always good.

Bev Bouwer said...

Oh dear. Every now and then you've got to read something more heroic!

Bev Bouwer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bev Bouwer said...

It's worth a try, Karen. Thanks for the visit.

Katherine P said...

The 56 made me laugh. So so true! I liked the beginning as well and Lee Child is one I've been wanting to read.

Maria said...

I haven't read anything by Lee Child but I do want to read the Jack Reacher books - I might just have to bread down and buy them...lol...here's my Friday meme

Amy @ A Novel Start said...

Sounds like quite a chatty book. Lee Child is meant to be an amazing author, my friends at work read EVERY new books of his that gets published lol. Wrong genre for me though :) I hope you enjoy his books! x

guiltlessreader said...

I've heard wonderful things about this author. That beginning "gets" to me. It's so true!