Friday 12 February 2016

Friday Book Justice


BookBeginnings is a weekly meme, hosted by Rose City Reader. To participate, share the opening lines and your thoughts about a book you're reading, or about to.


Beginning: 
Murderers do not usually give their victims notice.
My thoughts:

PD James is becoming a favourite of mine. Her detections are well written, and predictable in all the right kind of ways. 


This is about Venetia Aldridge QC, a distinguished barrister, who defends Garry Ashe, accused of the brutal murder of his aunt. And four weeks later she is found dead in her Middle Temple Chambers. If you've read PD James before, you'll know that Commander Adam Dalgliesh is called in to investigate.


The Friday 56 is hosted by Freda’s Voice every Friday. 

How it works is you...Grab a book, any book. Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader (If you have to improvise, that's ok.) Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it)

Here's my P56


The eight year old had found the story more interesting than horrific.

"What had he done, Grandfather?"

"Broken one of the rules of the Order. Disobeyed the Master."

"Are people put in the cell today?" He had stared at the two window slits, imagining that he could see desperate eyes staring down.


Here's the cover.



So what are you reading this weekend?

18 comments:

Lauren Stoolfire said...

Sounds like a good one! The last one of hers that I read was Death Comes to Pemberley - which I didn't care for all that much, though...

Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings).

Sandra Nachlinger said...

This author is on my "must read" list. So many books, so little time! I like the dialogue between the grandfather and the eight-year-old.
My Friday post features THE HURRICANE SISTERS.

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I have only read one PD James and I really must read more. My Friday Quotes

Marie - Pages To Explore said...

I haven't read a murder mystery since my gradeschool days of reading Nancy Drew. I loved those book so much that I went as far as asking my parents if I could change my name to Nancy... clearly they said no.

My Friday:Marie @ Pages to Explore

Unknown said...

I've read other books by this author so I have a feeling I'd enjoy this one too.

My 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2016/02/12/the-friday-56-94-night-shift-jill-kismet-1/

Elizabeth said...

Oooooo....I LOVE that first line.

Happy Reading and Happy Weekend!!

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
My Book Beginnings

Maria said...

I've heard great things about PD James but haven't read any of her books yet - I do have them on my wishlist though. I like the way this one begins and it's so true! Here's my Friday meme

Bev Bouwer said...

I haven't read Death Comes to Pemberley. I think it was quite famous?

Bev Bouwer said...

I hear you. sometimes I dread finding new books. Not really.

Bev Bouwer said...

Seems like you are in good company, so have most people! Thanks for the visit.

Bev Bouwer said...

Seems like you are in good company, so have most people! Thanks for the visit.

Bev Bouwer said...

Thanks for the visit, enjoyed your Friday share.

Bev Bouwer said...

I also loved Nancy Drew. Thanks for stopping by.

Bev Bouwer said...

You are the first one who has read more than one. Nice post.

Bev Bouwer said...

Loved your first line too - thanks for the visit

Bev Bouwer said...

It does look good. Thanks for the visit, and yours looks like a gripping read.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I've been wanting to read this author...this one sounds good! Thanks for sharing and for visiting my blog.

fredamans said...

Sounds intriguing! I love the bold beginning!!
Happy weekend!