Tuesday 2 February 2016

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

My daughter told me I'd love this book. As she did with another book that she only gave two stars. I think maybe she was trying to find that one a happy home. This wasn't the case for Shadow of the Wind.  It kept disappearing from the enormous pile next to my bed, only to reappear on her shelf, next to its beautiful partner - which I have not been recommended to (yet).

I loved this book. It features a Cemetery of Forgotten Books - ironic given my opening little story. This is where unused and forgotten books may be adopted. The writing style is beautiful. A little dense, which took some time to get into. Gorgeous great big characters helped, eventually.

The plot is how the adoption of one such book by the young Daniel results in attempted bribery, possible stalking and increased danger for the adoptive boy. He loves his book (The Shadow of the Wind) and is reluctant to relinquish it. It has entered his soul, like the keeper of the Cemetery said it would.

The book requires some perseverance, but the beautiful ending is worth the effort.

Set in an old and enchanting Spain, this is a sumptuous literary feast for all lovers of the written word everywhere.

4 stars

ISBN: 9780143902

You may also like another book about books - The Book of Speculation by Erika Swyler or Playing with Fire (with a little more action) by Tess Gerritsen. 

No comments: