Friday 26 February 2016

Friday Book Bling


BookBeginnings is a weekly meme, hosted by Rose City Reader. To participate, share the opening lines and your thoughts about a book you're reading, or about to.


Beginning: 
At first they watched the rain from inside the tent and then they watched it come inside the tent. A stone path extended from the house to the shore.When the shuttle buses arrived, the stones were opaque. Now they were translucent, the kind of wet that made it difficult to imagine them ever being dry again. Lightning struck the surface of the ocean and a curtain of hot wind swayed inward at their feet, pushing detached bouquet petals in a row. Victor took a step back. These were his only nice shoes.
My thoughts:

Four friends reunited for the snazzy wedding of a college friend. Victor loves Kezia, Kezia loves Nathaniel, Nathaniel loves Nathaniel. There is an older lady's 
obsession over a necklace, that they get sucked into, and they struggle their way through each other's lives not going according to plan.


The Friday 56 is hosted by Freda’s Voice every Friday. 

How it works is you...Grab a book, any book. Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader (If you have to improvise, that's ok.) Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it)

Here's my P56


Then out the door he went, the way Victor had come in. Keeping his hopes down would not present much of a challenge. One of Victor's true areas of expertise was how to keep his hopes no higher than a human ankle.


The Book is called The Clasp by Sloane Crosley. It's a fairly easy read, and highly amusing and entertaining. Here's the cover:


And if you're interested - here's my review.

Tell me what you're reading this weekend, and I'll pay you a friendly visit. Happy reading everyone.


27 comments:

Lauren Stoolfire said...

I like the sound of that opening. I've never seen lighting strike the ocean before... :)

Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings).

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Hi Bev,

Whilst I'm not sure that this is one I would enjoy, I could relate oh! so well, to your opening lines. Here in the UK, hosting a wedding in an outdoor marquee is always going to be very hit and miss weatherwise and more often than not guests will find themselves thinking pretty much the same thoughts as Victor and his friends!

Thanks for sharing, glad that you quite enjoyed this book and have a good weekend :)

Yvonne

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

Is Victor a good guy or bad? I can't tell. He sounds a bit stuck on himself.
My Friday Quotes

Sandra Nachlinger said...

I'm curious about why they're in a tent. It doesn't sound as if they're camping! I like the author's comparison of keeping his hopes no higher than a human ankle. Clever.
My Friday post features WATERCOLORS IN THE RAIN.

karen said...

Victor's hopes sound a lot like mine have at times! I may need to check this one out. Thanks for sharing!

sherry fundin said...

Some great teasers. Just looking at the cover, I would think this is not for me and I would pass this by, but your teasers make this worth checking out.
sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

Maria said...

The beginning reminds me of the times we went camping in my grandma's old tent - which of course leaked when it rained!...lol
Here's my Friday meme

Kathy Martin said...

Sounds interesting but not really the book for me. I am spotlighting A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro. Happy reading!

Lisa Ks Book Reviews said...

I use to work at an inn at Rehoboth Beach, DE. Watching a storm over the ocean was beautiful. Dangerous, but beautiful. I'd love for you to check out mine... http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsACFTW

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I am definitely intrigued, and I've been noticing this one around. Enjoy! Here's mine: ”THE PRICE OF SALT”

Jaymie @ collegiatecatlady.com said...

How interesting. I also wonder about the tent! Stakeout maybe? But maybe not? I'll have to read it and find out, it seems. Great choice!

Here's my friday post: http://www.collegiatecatlady.com/book-beginnings-the-friday-56/

Bev Bouwer said...

Lighting striking the ocean is beautiful. we are lucky to be at the sea often, and a stormy night is the best.

Bev Bouwer said...

You are quite right that it is a marquee at a wedding. And then the drama starts. Thanks for the visit.

Bev Bouwer said...

Anne, I thought everyone in this book was a bit caught up in themselves. Maybe I'm getting old :-)

Bev Bouwer said...

Will visit, Sandra - the tent was for the wedding reception. Your title sounds great too.

Sherrie said...

Hi,
Sounds like an interesting book. I'll have to check it out. Have a great day!

Bev Bouwer said...

Victor was actually quite fun. thanks for visiting.

Bev Bouwer said...

Thanks for the visit. Will pop by your site.

Bev Bouwer said...

I love the look of Charlotte. Thanks for sharing.

Bev Bouwer said...

Will do so. Thank you and I agree about the storms.

Bev Bouwer said...

Will look at yours. Yes, this has gained quite a lot of attention.

Elizabeth said...

I like the beginning. I would want to know more.

Thanks for sharing.

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
My Book Beginnings

Unknown said...

Hmm... I'm kind of on the fence about this one. I haven't read a lot of humor (although I'd like to change that), and most of the positive Goodreads reviews mentioned how funny the book is. My be a library pick for me, when my TBR list shrinks a bit. Good enough to make me wonder though :).

My Friday 56: https://vfseattle.wordpress.com/2016/02/26/friday-56-ms-marvel-vol-1-no-normal/

Danica said...

I like openings that draw you into the book like this one although I don't know if this book is for me. I hope you enjoy/enjoyed it! Have a great weekend :)

My Friday ---> AND I DARKEN

guiltlessreader said...

I love a good storm! THUNDER, LIGHTNING, RAIN! Bring it on ;)
Here's my post this week: http://guiltlessreading.blogspot.ca/2016/02/friday56-bookbeginnings-zero-k.html

Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

I'm interested to go read the review next!

Thanks for posting in BBOF!

fredamans said...

I love the descriptive writing! Happy Sunday!