Friday 5 February 2016

Friday Book Frippery

Georgette Heyer is my heroine. She started writing books for her brother who was ill, when she was 15, in the days when there were not many female authors around.

Today I'm featuring Powder and Patch, my most recent read, because everyone should read a little Georgette Heyer every now and then. I am also participating in two linkups - Book Beginnings and the Friday56



The Friday 56 is hosted by Freda’s Voice every Friday. 

How it works is you...Grab a book, any book. Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader (If you have to improvise, that's ok.) Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it)

Here's my P56

"Mr Bancroft and I had some slight difference in opinion which we settled in a wood. I was very easily worsted."

"You?" cried mademoiselle. "Impossible."
"On the contrary, bien aimee; I was, in those days , a very sorry spectacle, was I not , sir?"

"Not so long since," said Mr Bancroft.



BookBeginnings is a weekly meme, hosted by Rose City Reader. To participate, share the opening lines and your thoughts about a book you're reading, or about to.

Beginning:

If you searched among the downs in Sussex, somewhere between Midhurst and Brighthelmstone, inland a little, and nestling in modest seclusion between two waves of hills, you would find little Fittledean, a village around which three gentlemen built their homes.




My thoughts:

I LOVE a good story, and here's the blurb from Goodreads.

Cleone Charteris's exquisite charms have made her the belle of the English countryside. But Cleone yearns for a husband who is refined, aristocratic and who is as skilled with his wit as he is with his dueling pistols.... Everything Philip Jettan is not. As much as she is attracted to the handsome squire, Cleone finds herself dismissing Philip and his rough mannerisms.



If you feel like immersing yourself in this world of wigs, pantaloons, with snuff boxes and hessian boots, you can't do better than to let the witty and wry Ms. Heyer be your guide.

What are you featuring? Leave me a comment and I'll visit you over the weekend.

31 comments:

Lauren Stoolfire said...

I've never heard of this one before, but now I really want to check it out. :)

Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings).

Anonymous said...

This one is new to me as well. Thanks for sharing and enjoy!
Here's my 56: http://www.sharonsbooknook.com/2016/02/05/the-friday-56-death-wish/

Maria said...

I've never heard of this one either - I have to admit I haven't read much by Ms. Heyer...something I need to rectify. Here's my Friday meme

sherry fundin said...

Doesn't sound like my kind of book, but I hope you are enjoying it.
sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

Bev Hankins said...

Hi Bev! (I'm a Bev too!) Georgette Heyer is great. I love both her regency romances and her mystery novels. Here's my Friday Memes.

Kathy Martin said...

I am sure that I have read this one as I have read all of Heyer's romances but it isn't one of the ones that I re-read occasionally. I am spotlighting Hostile Witness by Leigh Adams this week. Happy reading!

Katherine P said...

I read this years ago and loved it! It's been so long since I've read any of her books. I definitely need to do a reread.

Bev Bouwer said...

I just checked yours out. Looks amazing. I'd also missed this one when I was younger. Glad I found it.

Bev Bouwer said...

Looks like our tastes are wildly different. Hope you enjoy yours, and happy weekend.

Sherrie said...

Hi,
Love reading these kinds of books. I'll have to check it out. Have a great day!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

What fun! Thanks for sharing and enjoy.

Catherine @ Book Club Librarian said...

I haven't gotten to Georgette Heyer yet, but have every intention of doing so. I love British novels (and the names of English villages), and many readers have recommended Heyer to me.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Kim Griffin said...

Sounds like an interesting read, I hope you're enjoying it! Thanks for visiting my blog! Happy reading!

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Hi Bev,

I haven't read any Georgette Heyer books for many years, but as with many other of the 'classic' authors, such as Agatha Christie, it is sometimes good to return to a bygone way of language and storytelling, which helped to build the solid foundations of my childhood love for reading.

I am a bit of a geek when it comes to checking out random bits of information though, so I was a little disappointed to learn that whilst Brighthelmstone and Midhurst are indeed both in Sussex, Fittledean was in fact a small village in Wiltshire, quite some distance away ... I'm not splitting hairs here, simply making an observation :)

Thanks for the trip down memory lane and I hope that you enjoy the book :)

Yvonne

fredamans said...

Doesn't sound like my kind of book but am glad you loved it!
Happy weekend!

Alicia @ A Kernel of Nonsense said...

It's great finding an author whose works you just click with. Hope you have a nice weekend!

Elizabeth said...

Sounds fun.

Thanks for sharing. I hope you are having a good Saturday.

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
My Book Beginnings

guiltlessreader said...

I haven't yet ventured into Georgette Heyer territory but when I do, I'll be sure to come by and poke around in your archives and maybe ask you what to start with ... what should I start with??? :)

Bev Bouwer said...

Thanks for sharing too, Sharon

Bev Bouwer said...

How interesting - this book was lent to me by another Bev - who also loves Georgette Heyer! Thanks for sharing.

Bev Bouwer said...

Thanks - yes I had also missed it. Your read looks good too.

Bev Bouwer said...

Rereads of Georgette Heyer are very satisfying.

Bev Bouwer said...

Yes they are fun

Bev Bouwer said...

Pleasure, they are great, and short too.

Bev Bouwer said...

Thanks for the visit. Yours looked good too.

Bev Bouwer said...

Pleasure - have a great week

Bev Bouwer said...

Wow - another geek. But I didnt go that far. That is slightly disappointing.

Bev Bouwer said...

Thanks for the visit, Freda. Have a good week.

Bev Bouwer said...

Too true - will stop by your site this week.

Bev Bouwer said...

Thanks. I will stop by today. Have a great day

Bev Bouwer said...

Oh no. I am not usually stuck for recommendations, but I honestly don't think that with Georgette Heyer it matters where you start.

My favourites recently have been A Civil Contract, April Lady and The Grand Sophy. The best is to pick them up at the library or second hand shops.