Wednesday 25 May 2016

Caramelized Pear, Gorgonzola and Pecan Nut salad

I have a regular-ish (when I'm not too sick to think about food) recipe post. It's not really for you, it's for me. Reason being that I can hardly ever find the recipes I need, except when I've posted them here. I have a beautiful file, thanks to the inspiration from my lovely sister, but sadly, when I try to find a recipe I need, it has disappeared. No jokes, this happened last night.

I'm cooking and eating lots of vegetables at the moment, so here's one of my favourite salad recipes. I first found it in Tina Bester's Comfort recipe book, but it's all over the internet. Enjoy.

Caramelized Pear, Gorgonzola and Pecan Nut Salad

2 tablespoons butter
Sticky Brown sugar
Black Pepper
2 pears
100g rocket
200g gorgonzola (cut down on this if you're low sodium)
100g pecan nuts (or walnuts), roughly chopped

Honey and mustard vinaigrette, to serve, if needed.



Melt the butter and brown sugar (my recipe says two tablespoons of brown sugar, but if like me, you're cutting back the sweet stuff, just sprinkle about 1 tablespoon, and tell yourself that this isn't a lot, and you're not going to eat all the salad, just most of it). Grind black pepper over the pears.

Caramelize the pears in the pan until golden - this is the trick. I cook them until they're even crispy, which is so yummy.Sticky is good. You want to leave them bubbling for at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Allow to cool. Place the leaves in a salad bowl/platter, add pears, crumble cheese and smashed pecans.

So easy. Enjoy.

And since I'm doing this so I can find the recipes easily, I've updated my recipe index - here. I'll do the alphabetical one soon, I promise.


No comments: