Friday 27 October 2017

Let the Dead Speak by Jane Casey

I'd nearly finished this book when I realised it was #7 in the Maeve Kerrigan series. That's great because a) clearly it didn't occur to me that it was a series, which means it works well alone and b) there are now six books waiting for me to find them.



Eighteen year old Chloe Emery arrives home unexpectedly to find her mother missing and the house turned into a bloody crime scene. She does what any scared teenager would do and runs into the arms of her best friend, Bethany, who lives next door. Newly promoted Detective Sergeant Maeve Kerrigan arrives on the scene with newbie Georgia Shaw in the passenger seat. There's a team. They must get to the bottom of all the blood, find a body and also a murderer. No small task. Especially when Chloe's not saying much and the neighbours are not all that friendly, to say the least.

Jane Casey, where have you been all my crime reading life? I loved the plot, the people - especially the interactions between detective Josh Derwent and Maeve, her boss, Una Burt and the rest of the team - and the fast pace of unraveling with a highly satisfying conclusion.

This is a great book, full of suspense and action. You'll read it quickly and be sad it's over.

4 stars

ISBN:9780008148997

You may also enjoy Sunday Morning Coming Down by Nicci French or I know a secret by Tess Gerritsen

1 comment:

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Hi Bev,

I won a paperback copy of this book in a Goodreads Giveaway, so I am eagerly waiting for it to get to the top of my TBR pile, especially now that you have said that it works okay as a stand alone story.

Thanks for sharing and enjoy your weekend :)

Yvonne