Friday 9 November 2018

Friday Books - A Spark of Light

Welcome to BookBeginnings and Friday56 - where we share books on Fridays. It's a great way to start the weekend.

Book Beginnings is hosted by Rose City Reader.




 Here's the beginning of the book I'm featuring today.

Jodi Picoult tackles abortion, abortion laws, pro-life and pro-choice views and even patriarchy and gun violence in this book, by focussing on a shooting at a women's reproductive health clinic in Mississippi. It's inspired me to read so much more about the subject - although I know these have always been hotly debated by many, I had no idea how different abortion laws were in different countries, nor how they had evolved over the decades.


At Freda's Voice, you'll find the Friday56, where the excerpt comes from page 56 or 56% in your Kindle.

Here's page 56 of A Spark of Light by Jodi Picoult .


What has been especially interesting is how much the abortion debate has been entered into by men, who although they cannot bear children, and while a number of women find themselves thinking this way (of an abortion) because men have walked away from parental responsibilities, somehow it is acceptable for them to make decisions on behalf of those same women, and over time we women have robbed them of moral agency in this issue.

On a more trivial note - which cover? Mine looks like the first, but I'm leaning towards preferring the second - the colours are so pretty.

I have done a review, for those of you who're interested to read further.

What are you reading this weekend? I'd love to visit your blog and check it out.

8 comments:

Roberta said...

I enjoyed your thoughtful review. Writing backwards does sound like showing off.

I like the second cover better, too. The anatomy of a bookworm graphic is cute as well.

Lisbeth said...

Always wanted to read something by Jodi Picoult. It is a serious topic and would be interesting to see how she approach it.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I just read this book, and I loved it. I hope you enjoy it, too. Thanks for visiting my blog.

fredamans said...

I've seen that last cover but not the first. The story sounds so good! Happy weekend!

Catherine @ Book Club Librarian said...

Jodi Picoult is one of my hit or miss authors, but this is one of her books that I want to read. Hope it's a satisfying read for you.

Kathy Martin said...

Sounds like an interesting book on a polarizing topic. This week I am spotlighting Those Who Go By Night by Andrew Gaddes - a medieval mystery from my review stack. Happy reading!

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I've heard really great things about this book. Do you think it would be a good discussion book for book club? My Friday Quotes and review

Nicki J. Markus / Asta Idonea said...

Glad you found it a thought-provoking read. I like the second cover more too.