Friday 20 January 2017

Friday Books - Conclave


After a long break, I'm back, and glad it's Friday - weekend, yay!

On Fridays we get to link up with other book people and share our favourite things.


BookBeginnings, hosted by Rose City Reader, and The Friday 56 - hosted by Freda’s Voice are where you'll find them. Both involve sharing excerpts from a current book - the beginning and - you guessed it - page 56.



My book this week is


Conclave by Robert Harris




I am passionate about that cover, it's so beautiful. And the opening - can you see the elderly Cardinal walking quickly through the Vatican, even if you've never been there? 

Robert Harris writes so well, and you are drawn in from that opening paragraph.






What do you think? Which cover? There's no doubt in my mind.

One hundred and eighteen cardinals locked into the Vatican. No links with the world until they fulfil their holy mission of electing the new pope.

One secret revealed, then a twist, then a dagger in the back. It's as addictive as a soap. A political thriller with a difference, I loved this book. Read my review here.

Happy reading everyone.
SaveSave

10 comments:

Lauren Stoolfire said...

Welcome back, Bev!

I'd definitely be much more likely to pick up that first cover - love all the red! :)

Breana M. said...

This seems interesting. Thanks for mentioning the book. :-)

Bev Bouwer said...

Thanks for visiting, will stop be you later.

Unknown said...

Welcome back. And an exciting book! I like the first cover the best. It's stunning. I want to read this one!

MY Friday 56 from The Breedling And The City In The Garden

Lisa Ks Book Reviews said...

The first cover is an eye catcher for sure. I'd love if you and your readers would check out mine ... http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsGTS

Maria said...

I think I actually love the 2nd cover more - something about it just grabs my attention - though the 1st cover is very striking - I do like the sound of this book - haven't read anything by this author - so I'll be adding it to my list - I think I like the contrast between the
"religious" and the "political" setting here. Here's my my Friday meme

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Sounds enticing! I definitely love that first cover, and thanks for sharing. Enjoy! Thanks for visiting my blog.

Roberta Gibson said...

I'm voting with most of the others. The first cover grabs you. Interesting premise for a political thriller, too. Welcome back!

fredamans said...

I'm intrigued. So very intrigued. Happy weekend!

Danica said...

At first I wasn't sure that this was for me but after that brief synopsis I need to read this! I'll be sure to check out your review :)

Danica @ Shelves of Spines
My Friday Meme