Thursday 1 September 2016

Hope Prevails by Dr. Michelle Bengston


What are the chances? A neuropscychologist suffering from depression herself? Not so small, actually, when you realise that one in four people in the US struggle with depression at any point, and by 2020, our greatest global epidemic will be this silent and abusive scourge.

It was also the fact that the doctor writes from her own personal experience and faith as a Christian that made me pick this book up. I'm glad I did. I haven't seen many or read any books on the subject, yet I think this may be one of the best. When faced with her own symptoms, Michelle is brave enough to admit that there is something missing from the way depression is treated - the spiritual component. Each chapter tackles an aspect of depression, confronts lies, shares some personal stories, contains a myriad of Bible verses and encouragement, and ends with "Your Rx"  - some practical steps to take, and a prayer over you. There is also a playlist of music at each chapter end, which I loved, as music is so powerful and helpful in dealing with this condition.

An excellent workbook for those suffering and those who love them, I suspect that those who have derived most pleasure from this read are the ones who followed the prescriptions, listened to the music, and put into practice the advice given.

Even so, the book would have benefitted from a deeper theological and perhaps more thoughtful spiritual perspective. It is more useful and helpful than insightful and original. More practical than ground-breaking in its revelation of truths - like so much written in this genre today, which I found a little disappointing.

Worth a read, though. Even if you're not a sufferer. It won't take you long.

3 stars

ISBN: 9780800727079

You may also enjoy Anxiety for Beginners by Eleanor Morgan, or I'm Sick: Now What? by Dr. Andrew Butterworth.

Click to see my 2016 reviews

No comments: