Friday 20 May 2016

Friday Book - The Keeper

On Fridays I participate in BookBeginnings, hosted by Rose City Reader, and The Friday 56 - hosted by Freda’s Voice. Both involve sharing excerpts from a current book - the beginning and - you guessed it - page 56.

This week's book-





Click the cover for the Goodreads blurb.



Beginning:
When the call came, Maisie Beukes was alone in the keepers quarters.Cecil had already gone on duty even though it was only five o'clock


Here's my p56
She opened the fridge, looking for something to make for lunch.
Fish - only fish.
There was only ever fish. And cold boiled rice or macaroni.


This is the story of Hannes - the lighthouse keeper. It is fascinating reading. The keepers and their families are sent to remote places - in this case an island, where all there is to eat is fish - except when the boat comes in, irregularly. And everywhere is guano - penguin poop. To the extent that everything smells like it, tastes like it. Can you imagine?

Tell me what you're reading, and I'll pay you a visit. Happy reading everyone.


12 comments:

Lauren Stoolfire said...

This sounds like a very intriguing read! I wouldn't want to smell that day in day out!

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I hate it when people bring fish leftovers for lunch and heat it up in the microwave in the faculty room. It never smells good to everyone else. I wonder if this is how the character feels about the fridge full of old fish?

sherry fundin said...

Pretty cover, but I think I'll pass on the fish. lol
sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

Breana M. said...

This sounds like an interesting book. Thanks for sharing. :-)

Kathy Martin said...

This doesn't sound like a lifestyle I would enjoy. I hope you enjoyed the book. This week I am spotlighting Marked in Flesh by Anne Bishop. Happy reading!

Lisa Ks Book Reviews said...

The title and cover had me...the eating only fish thing made me say "Ewwww"...the everything smelled like and tasted like penguin poop, well, I was done. ;-) I'd love for you and your readers to check out mine... http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsSBkd

fredamans said...

I would go nuts if all I had to eat was fish. Not my favorite thing to eat. LOL. I love lighthouses, kind of fascinated by them really, so that prompts me to want to check the book out. Happy weekend!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I love lighthouses, and curling up to learn about a keeper's world sounds so fascinating. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

Susanne said...

"The Light Between Oceans" has got me interested in stories based on lighthouses. I'm adding this to my TBR list. :)

Sandra Nachlinger said...

This sounds like a fascinating story. I've visited quite a few lighthouses on the Pacific coast, and they're so interesting.
My Friday post features THE LIE THAT TELLS A TRUTH.

Unknown said...

I would love to be a lighthouse keeper--don't know about the guano, though. Enjoy!

Maria said...

Lol..I'm not sure I'd want to live in those conditions...lol...sounds like it could be a fun book though. Here's my Friday meme