Wednesday 26 September 2018

Pieces of Her by Karin Slaughter

You know when a book is so eagerly awaited in your household that, on the day, on the way back from the local bookstore, when your husband sends you a text message "Did you know the new Karin Slaughter is out?" and you send one back "Yes I do, because I've already bought it", it's a Very Good Day. Seriously, because I'd forgotten it was coming out, and when I saw it, I didn't hesitate. It was done.

And boy am I glad. Slaughter gets better and better.

This one's about a mother and daughter - Laura and Andy. You know when you think you know everything about your mother, but you haven't even scratched the surface. And you know your daughter's clever and brave, but you don't want her to have even more opportunity to prove it; and then you find yourself giving her all sorts of tips and tricks to assist with survival. Yes, survival.

It starts with violence in a mall. Normal, everyday violence, if you know what I mean, until Andy thinks a little harder about it, and realises that her mom may have a little baggage from somewhere. This quickly escalates into both being questioned by police, followed, and running for their lives. And in order to know where to run, all sorts of truths must be confronted. The history is also intense - life was so different a generation ago, for women in particular.

Karin Slaughter is one of my very favourite authors, and she has outdone herself in this one. We adore Will Trent and Sara Linton, and we can't wait another year to get that next instalment, but then we read this, and Cop Town and The Good Daughter and Pretty Girls, and we discover that actually, we really can wait, after all. And we really couldn't, before.

I loved the pace, the tension, the characters, the plot, the drama, the everything.

5 Scintillating stars.

ISBN:9780062430298 






1 comment:

Susie said...

The last paragraph left me confused. Up till then thought quite spellbinding. Pls interpret