Friday 21 September 2018

Friday Books - Broken Ground

Welcome to BookBeginnings and Friday56 -where we share books on Fridays. It's a great way to start the weekend.

Book Beginnings is hosted by Rose City Reader.



 Here's the beginning of the book I'm featuring today.

The slap of spades in dense peat was an unmistakable sound. They slipped in and out of rhythm:overlapping, separating, cascading, then coming together again, much like the men's heavy breathing.

So what do you think the men are doing? My first thought was digging a grave. But they're not, although this book has at least one body in peat. It's Val McDermid's latest, featuring Karen Pirie, and so far, it's great.



At Freda's Voice, you'll find the Friday56, where the excerpt comes from page 56 or 56% in your Kindle.

Here's an excerpt from page 56 of Broken Ground by Val McDermid.

She cut the music and rang the number of her best friend. She thought it was going to shunt straight through to voicemail, but at the last second, Karen Pirie's voice filled the car. "Hey River, how's tricks?" It sounded like they were doing the same thing, driving on a fast road at speed.

How often does that happen? River is listening to Amy Winehouse belt out Valerie, and Karen has Chris Rea, Road to Hell playing. Both are driving on the motorway, not far from one another, as it happens.

What are you reading this weekend? I'd love to visit your blog and check it out.

15 comments:

Kathy Martin said...

Interesting! This book is new to me and sounds good. This week I am featuring The Calculating Stars by Mary Robinette Kowal. Happy reading!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Now I am definitely curious! Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

Louise @ Foxes and Fairy Tales said...

I've really like some of Val MacDermids books but I don't think I've read this one. Thanks!

Catherine @ Book Club Librarian said...

This author is on my must-try list. Thanks for reminding me!

Ashley Sapp said...

I'm super intrigued! Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

Literary Feline said...

I have yet to read one of Val McDermid's books, but I have wanted to. This sounds like a good one! I love that opening. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Breana M. said...

This one looks interesting. Thanks for mentioning it.

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

What wonderfully descriptive excerpts. I hope you are enjoying the book. My Friday Quotes

Elizabeth said...

That is what I thought too, but maybe they are mixing peat together to make a roof? It would depend on the time period.

Sounds quite interesting.

Thanks for sharing and for stopping by my blog.

Yvonne said...

An intriguing teaser.

Hope you have a great weekend!

fredamans said...

I'm curious for more! Happy weekend!

Nicki J. Markus / Asta Idonea said...

That's certainly an atmospheric opening!

JLS Hall said...

Sounds like a good read. I've never read anything by Val McDermid -- I should do something about that. Hope you enjoy the book.

Alicia @ A Kernel of Nonsense said...

I love that they are listening to the same music in this scene. Hope you enjoy your weekend!

Girl Who Reads said...

I've read one book by McDermid and really liked it. I keep meaning to read more. See what book Susan is featuring this week at Girl Who Reads