Thursday 11 May 2017

The Substitute by Denise Grover Swank

Do you ever feel like a quick, lighthearted read? Sort of like a little packet of jelly babies before bed, or popcorn at the movies.

That’s exactly what I needed. I’d been reading quite a lot of thrillers, and before that, heavy books - thought-provoking, worthy and interesting. Wonderful, but I needed a reading binge.

The Substitute is the stuff nightmares are made of. Megan Vandemeer is on her way home to a wedding organised by an overbearing mother. Only she hasn't quite picked up the courage to tell them that Jay no longer her fiancĂ©, since they broke up. She tells enough of her story to a handsome stranger on a plane, then passes out. Guess what happens? Use the title if you’re not sure…

I picked this up free on Kindle. (Click the pretty cover for link to free version - hope it lasts!) And it was everything I was looking for. Also, when you’re looking for this kind of book, it’s easy to also attract bad writing. Here, nothing grated me. Maybe a little too much repetition of facts I’d heard before, and some overused phrases, but all in all a happy read.

A predictable, yet a little different and interesting plot. And just what I was looking for.

Denise Grover Swank, I’ll see you in a few weeks, for another cocktail - pink and pretty, tasty and delicious.

ISBN:9781939996237

More reviews

SaveSave

No comments: