Friday 26 May 2017

Friday Books - I Capture the Castle


It's Friday already. Time to stop and read. At last.

BookBeginnings, hosted by Rose City Readerand The Friday 56 - hosted by Freda’s Voice both host sites for Friday link ups, where we discover more books, and make friends. Both involve sharing excerpts from a current book - the beginning and - you guessed it - page 56.

This is a photo of the actual book I'm reading. Interesting cover, right?





It's I Capture the Castle, by Dodie Smith. Yip, she of 101 Dalmations fame.











A friend lent me her copy of this book, and I cannot wait to start it. I've cleared the decks, and this is the weekend of reading this book. I think that has to be one of the most original openings I've ever read. Here's the blurb:

"Through six turbulent months of 1934, 17-year-old Cassandra Mortmain keeps a journal, filling three notebooks with sharply funny yet poignant entries about her home, a ruined Suffolk castle, and her eccentric and penniless family. By the time the last diary shuts, there have been great changes in the Mortmain household, not the least of which is that Cassandra is deeply, hopelessly, in love."







The sink again. Love that.

Here are some more interesting versions of the covers, because I know that you guys love to choose your favourites (so do I).

So different, right? Do you have a favourite?

And what are you reading this weekend? I'd love to visit you, so leave me a comment and I'll say hello.

9 comments:

Sassy Brit @ Alternative-Read.com said...

Yes, I'm sold, Bev. I love the way you wonder what she is writing!

Here's my current read: http://bit.ly/2rXibtc

Have a good one!

Sass x

Dual Reads said...

OMG its been ages since I read this book and I love it! That first sentence is one of my favourite first sentences ever! Hope you're enjoying it!

Catherine @ Book Club Librarian said...

I've always wanted to read this one. In fact, I bought a copy years ago and it's still on my shelf. One of these days I'll get to it. Happy reading weekend!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Now you have "captured" my interest. I love the cover on the bottom left.

Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “IT’S ALWAYS THE HUSBAND”

Lisa Ks Book Reviews said...

I love the beginning. I can see me trying to grab the last bit of light. I'd love for you and your readers to check out mine blog today . . . ttp://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsKTBT

Kathy Martin said...

Sounds good. I've heard of this book but never read it. This week I'm reading Into the Fire by Jeaniene Frost. Happy reading!

fredamans said...

The rhythm of the writing really captured me! Happy weekend!

Alicia @ A Kernel of Nonsense said...

I've been meaning to read this book forever. Everyone raves about it and I'm eager to partake in the love. Happy weekend!

Lauren Stoolfire said...

I don't know why I haven't already read this. Thanks for sharing. :)

Lauren @ Always Me