Tuesday 5 June 2018

Lyrebird by Cecelia Ahern

A lyrebird is most notable for its superb ability to mimic natural and artificial sounds from their environment, and the striking beauty of the male bird's huge tail when it is fanned out in courtship display. Lyrebirds have unique plumes of neutral-coloured tailfeathers and are among Australia's best-known native birds. Here's a picture.



Bo is a newly-famous TV producer. She's just won an award, so the pressure is on her to find the next earth-shattering, awe-inspiring story, and then to film it and make it big. Her boyfriend, Solomon is on her team, and when they stumble upon Laura, it feels too good to be true. They nickname her Lyrebird because she can mimic anything. And she does. With amazing accuracy and weirdness. You can guess the next stage in the story, can't you? And you're right. Yep, and about that, too.

This was a lovely lyrical tale. I enjoyed the characters, and for a beach-read, which it was, it was almost perfect. It's difficult to say exactly what I didn't appreciate fully, maybe it was the overall cheesiness, the predictability and the inability of the characters to inspire more than a "aah sweet" from me. 

This is my first Cecelia Ahern, and it sounds like it shouldn't be my last. I'd be happy to try her other books, based on this experience. Oh, and did I mention that I got a sale copy of this, which made it more satisfying...

3 stars

ISBN: 9780008171414


You may also enjoy The Wonder by Emma Donoghue or what about Faithful by Alice Hoffman?

No comments: