Tuesday 9 October 2018

The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn


Anna Fox is the Woman in the Window. She lives alone, as we discover quite early on. She is a psychologist, so loves to observe humanity, which she does from her vantage point - she sees infidelity, abuse, deceit, lies - all the evil we try to keep behind closed doors, and shuttered windows.

Anna has agoraphobia - an intense fear and anxiety of being in places where it is hard to escape, or where help might not be available. Agoraphobia usually involves fear of crowds, bridges, or of being outside alone. So she watches old movies, she drinks, she takes her pills and she observes.

It's when a child's life and safety may be at stake that the ante is upped, and she needs for her observations to believed. But can they, given her solitary state, her addictions, and her, well plain weirdness?

I enjoyed this page turner. I liked Anna - even though I did guess most of her story, and I loved the neighbours and finding out more about them.

I am a little tired of the "should we believe her, because she's unreliable?" theme, although its use here is less trite than some others I've read.

All in all, a good psychological thriller, that will keep you entertained and figuring out the truth.

ISBN: 9780062799555

3.5 stars

You may also enjoy Snap by Belinda Bauer, Watch Me by Jody Gerhman, or The Wife between Us by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen

1 comment:

Dora said...

I love a good page turner with engaging characters. My first novel is a psycho mystery and https://usabookreviewers.com/christmas-gift helped to get me many reviews.