Friday 10 August 2018

Friday Books - Fools and Mortals

I'm so glad it's nearly the weekend. More time for reading, and sharing books.

At Book Beginningshosted by Rose City Reader, you share the first line, and  a few thoughts about the book.



 Here's the beginning of the book I'm featuring today.



It's 1590, London, and the players are playing for the Queen. The story is told from the perspective of Richard Shakespeare, William's younger (and more handsome) brother. I loved this foray into the Elizabethan era in Bernard Cornwall's Fools and Mortals.




At Freda's Voice, you'll find the Friday56, where the excerpt comes from page 56 or 56% in your Kindle.

Here's page 56 of Fools and Mortals by Bernard Cornwall.



Since ladies weren't given parts - they were the seamstresses mainly, the men played the women, which led to some interesting comments.

What are you reading this weekend? I'd love to visit your blog and check it out.

7 comments:

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

What a wonderful and descriptive opening to your book. I love it. My Friday Quotes

fredamans said...

I love both snippets. They pulled em right in! I also like the first cover best! I added you to the Linky. Happy weekend!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Thanks for sharing and for piquing my curiosity. Here's mine: “THE PERFECT COUPLE”

Kathy Martin said...

Sounds like an intriguing story. I've never read this author. This week I have Guilt by Degrees by Marcia Clark from my TBR mountain. Happy reading!

Girl Who Reads said...

I liked the opening lines. See what we are featuring at Girl Who Reads

Nicki J. Markus / Asta Idonea said...

This sounds like one I'd enjoy. Happy Reading.

Laura said...

Such a wonderful beginning. I'd definitely read this book and I hope you enjoy it.

My Friday 56 from The Dog Thief