Wednesday 9 August 2017

Now you see me by Sharon Bolton


The first book in the Lacey Flint series, Now you see me starts with Lacey Flint, a young female detective being caught up with a brutally stabbed woman. Then a journalist gets a letter with allusions  to Jack the Ripper cases, and links to Lacey. The plot is off to a cracking start, and it doesn't let up.

I love discovering an author like Sharon Bolton, and then going back and finding her earlier works - especially if they're a series, and starting from the beginning. Only here, I got it all wrong - Dead Scared is done already. There are 4 books in this series (6 if you read the novellas in between), and they're fantastic - well so far anyway. Which I didn't expect.

Lacey Flint is an unlikely heroine. She's also - gasp - a female lead who is not interested in a romantic  encounter, as she is more invested in solving the case. I know. Fancy that.

This is a darkly clever, amusing and fascinating book. I was gripped by the rip-roaring plot, the wonderful characters - I loved that we get to know Lacey and all her deep dark secrets on the way,  and an appearance by Detective Dana Tulloch (from Bolton's first stand alone novel - Sacrifice).

The best thing about reading any Sharon Bolton book is your lack of desire to do anything other than finish it until it's done. And then when it's done, and you're doing the dishes, or cooking a meal for your starving family, you will smile as you remember the fun you had. And how you're not even sorry.

4 stars

ISBN:9780312600525

You may also enjoy Dead Scared  - the second in the series, or what about Daisy in Chains by the same author? Or if you want a different author, in the same genre - try Belinda Bauer's Finders Keepers.




1 comment:

Elza Reads said...

I absolutely love that last quote. How true is that.

This sounds like a great series and exactly the type of book I prefer to read. Thanks for sharing and I will have a look at it right now.

Enjoy your day Bev!