Friday 18 August 2017

Friday Books - The House of Eliott


Hello again. It's time for...

BookBeginnings, hosted by Rose City Readerand The Friday 56 - hosted by Freda’s Voice

Both host sites for Friday link ups, where we discover more books, and make friends. Both involve sharing excerpts from a current book - the beginning and - you guessed it - page 56.

This week, I'm featuring


The House of Eliott by Jean Marsh




Here's My Beginning..


Here's the blurb.
Two sisters fight to assert themselves after being plunged into devastating poverty following their father's death. Luckily, their natural flair for design soon finds them in demand as dressmakers.
Beatrice is the elder and apparently wiser of the two, who considers herself plain and unmarriageable and whose relationship with society photographer, Jack Maddox, is seared with conflict and doubt. Her younger sister is Evangeline, ravishingly beautiful, the victim of chancers, philanderers and rogues – but most of all the victim of her own desires.

Throughout all their private turmoils, their professional goal is constant: to establish a fashion house in London to rival any in Paris. Based on the massively successful television series created by Jean Marsh and Eileen Atkins, this is the full story of Beatrice and Evangeline, and of the strength and triumph, bitterly made decisions and anguishes that accompanied the rise of the House of Eliott.






My Page 56

Apparently there was a TV series made about this. I seem to have missed both - the book in 1991 and the series a few years later.

Anyone read/seen it? Here's my review.

What are you reading this weekend? 
SaveSave

9 comments:

Nicki J. Markus / Asta Idonea said...

Yes, I do remember the TV series, though I was fairly young when it was on and it was really my parents who watched it. I don't believe I've ever read the book, however.

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

Whoa. I thought "Take It Off" meant clothes, all of them. I was relieved it was just a hat. My Friday Quotes

fredamans said...

You have my attention!! I added you to the Linky. Happy weekend!

Literary Feline said...

I am not at all familiar with this book or the TV series. It sounds interesting though. I hope you are enjoying it!

Kathy Martin said...

Startling beginning! I haven't heard of the book or the TV series before. I'm reading White Hot by Ilona Andrews this week. Happy reading!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I haven't seen the TV series or read this book, but I'm intrigued. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “HERE & GONE”

Breana M. said...

I haven't read or heard about this one before now. It seems interesting.

Margot said...

I am probably way off, but I thought the beginning was a little funny. I'd like to read more to see what's going on.

Lauren Stoolfire said...

I'm definitely interested in those snippets. Thanks for sharing! :)

My post + my current giveaway