Friday 10 June 2016

Friday Books - The Constant Queen

On Fridays I participate in BookBeginnings, hosted by Rose City Reader, and The Friday 56 - hosted by Freda’s Voice. Both involve sharing excerpts from a current book - the beginning and - you guessed it - page 56.

This week's book-




Click the cover for the Goodreads blurb.



Beginning:

Sometimes, when she closes her eyes, Elizaveta can feel it still - the headlong giddy challenge of pitting herself against the world - and she yearns to recapture it. Even through the river-mist of too many years past, she can still feel the surge of water through the thin skin of the tiny canoe, the glitter of spray in her eyes, the rush of warm air against her face. And above all else, she can feel the roar of her young heart as, at last she crested the tumbling Dnieper.


Here's my 56%
"Men will seek you, Elizaveta."
"Because I am a princess of Kiev?"
"Yes, but more  than that - they will seek you for your spirit. A man needs a wife with spirit if he is to succeed in life."


I thoroughly enjoy historical fiction. It's a great antidote to dark and twisted crime.

Set in 1066, this is a standalone, part of a trilogy about the viking queens vying to rule England - Elizaveta in this one. Every time I read her name, I feel a deep sense of regret that I didn't name at least one daughter something really old, like Airlia or Verena. But then she probably would have hated me. 


Anyway, so far I am enjoying this book. It's nicely written, and I don't know much about the Vikings. And I think the cover is simply beautiful.

Tell me what you're reading, and I'll pay you a visit. Happy reading everyone.

10 comments:

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I just read a book set in 1200s. It is very hard to imagine how hard life was back then.

My Friday Quote from Lie Tree

Breana M. said...

This one seems like something I would enjoy, thanks for sharing about the book! :-)

Unknown said...

Such a lovely cover and interesting setting. The writing flows so smoothly.

My Friday 56 from Checkered Crime

Kathy Martin said...

Sounds good. This week I have The Masque of the Black Tulip by Lauren Willig. Happy reading!

Katherine P said...

I love the name Verena but yes she probably would have hated you! This sounds interesting. I don't know a huge amount about the Vikings either - only the vague things I remember from history class and the little snippets I've seen of the show The Vikings that my husband watches! This does sound good and I'm glad it's nicely written. I'll have to look for it.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

What a lovely beginning and 56! I don't read much historical fiction, but I love the sound of this one. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “INTRUSION”

Unknown said...

I love the time period and I am a fan of historical fiction. Enjoy!

Maria said...

I enjoyed both teasers and this sounds like something I would definitely enjoy reading. Great choice. Here's my Friday meme

Mareli Thalk Ink said...

I actually don't know anything about this time period! Way to long ago! But it does sound like a good read. And what a beautiful name - Elizaveta. Sounds rather romantic.

fredamans said...

That cover is beautiful! Those snippets are as beautiful too, being so descriptive! LOVE it! Happy weekend!