Friday 18 December 2015

Friday Book Mystery

Fridays have become so much fun since I started doing this.

BookBeginnings is a weekly meme, hosted by Rose City ReaderTo participate, share the opening lines and your thoughts about a book you're reading, or about to.



"Perched on the bluff’s edge, the house is in danger. Last night’s storm tore land and churned water, littering the beach with bottles, seaweed and horseshoe crab carapaces. The place where I’ve spent my entire life is unlikely to survive the fall storm season. The Long Island Sound is peppered with the remains of homes and lifetimes, all ground to sand in its greedy maw. It is a hunger."

The book .... 

The Book of Speculation by Erika Swyler

This was recommended to me by by 15 year old daughter. She enjoyed it, and thinks I will too. It's about about a young librarian who is sent a mysterious old book, inscribed with his grandmother's name. What is the book's connection to his family? Simon Watson, living alone on the Long Island Sound must find out.

And just because this is such fun, and I so enjoy all your comments (thank you), I also participate in Friday56, hosted by Freda’s Voice on every Friday.


here are the Rules:

*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader (If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
*Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it)
*Don’t forget to add your post URL (not your blog url) at Freda’s Voice.

So, again from The Book of Speculation by Erika Swyler

Oh dear, page 56 is blank!

Here's page 55...

"The girl was something Ryzhkova had not seen in long years, not since her father had gone missing. She’d left everything she’d known to flee from it. She would not say its name. to name such things was to give them power, and yet it was impossible to stop her mind from whispering."

I love it already. Lastly, the cover...


Adding to your TBR? Don't worry, I'm sure when I visit your Book Beginnings or Friday 56, my pile will grow too.

Happy weekend everyone.

18 comments:

Nicole said...

Interesting snippet and title. If I see it around the library I would consider giving it a try. Happy Friday!

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I think I had better add this to my TBR. What fun.
My Friday Quotes

Lauren Stoolfire said...

I've got this one on my tbr - I've heard some pretty interesting things about it! Happy reading. :)


Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings) and my current giveaway.

Bev Bouwer said...

It looks like quite a quick read too.

Bev Bouwer said...

Yours looks interesting too!

Stormi said...

This book sounds interesting! :)

Stormi
Friday Memes

Maria said...

I like that your daughter recommended it! A good mom who has taught her daughter to read:)...I do like the sound of this book and the cover is cute - will add to my list. Here's my Friday post

Bev Bouwer said...

Both my daughters didn't really have a choice about reading or cuddles- both non negotiable. But they are happy, avid readers. Mostly they don't want Mom reading their books, so this is unusual. Thanks for the visit. Will check yours out.

Bev Bouwer said...

Thanks Lauren. Will pop in.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Gorgeous cover and excerpts...and I love the setting. Thanks for sharing and enjoy. Thanks for visiting my blog.

Sandra Nachlinger said...

The book's cover makes me curious about the inhabitants of that house, perched over the ocean's waves. Sounds like a good story.
My Friday post features THE LOCKET.

Elizabeth said...

I was not a fan of this book. In fact, I didn't finish reading it.

I hope you like it.

Have a great weekend.

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
My Book Beginnings

Unknown said...

You got me with the excerpt. And I love the cover!

here's my 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/12/18/the-friday-56-89-murder-and-other-unnatural-disasters/

guiltlessreader said...

Isn't it wonderful when you're recommended a book by a teenager? I have great faith in the next generation of readers!

fredamans said...

What a lovely snippet. I love the 'mind from whispering' part.
Happy weekend!

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Hi Bev,

I was really excited when I first saw this one, as any premise which mentions books, is sure to grab my attention.

The opening paragraph got me hooked even more, as the power of the sea to destroy is quite something, don't you agree?

I even found a brilliant cover version of this one on Goodreads (well, I am a bit biased because it shows books on the cover :) )

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014670-the-book-of-speculation?from_search=true&search_version=service

Then, I felt a bit let down, as this sounded more and more like a fantasy story, the more I read. I shall wait for your final thoughts about the book to decide whether fantasy is the main genre of the storyline, or just a little magic which happens around the periphery of the main theme, but I really hope that it will be one for me to add to my list :)

Yvonne.

Bev Bouwer said...

Oh dear. Hope it's ok for me. If not, will just never listen to my daughter again.

Bev Bouwer said...

Wow, Yvonne, this book has you intrigued. I love the other cover too. Yes, I think you are right that it may have a bit too much fantasy in it. Will let you know. Thanks for the lovely comment.