Friday 4 December 2015

Friday Book Fun

I've never done this before, so I hope I get it right.

I am participating in not one, but two blog linkups (I don't even know if that is what to call them - yes I am that green.)


But they're both about books, so I know I'm in good company.


The first is BookBeginnings, hosted by Rose City Reader.


How it works is every Friday you share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. 
The second is The Friday 56, hosted by Freda's Voice, where you 
*  Grab a book, any book.
*  Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader (If you have to improvise, that's ok.) 
*  Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) 
So here goes....

‘Gareth has such lovely hair.’

‘I suppose the only way to tell you this, Mrs Crocker, is just to come out and say it,’ the educational psychologist announced, demonstrating her superpower for stating the obvious. Even at my tender age – and with all the emotional depth of a hamster – I sensed that what was to follow was not necessarily going to be magnificent for me.

‘And don’t get me wrong,’ she added. ‘I adore Gareth. He really is such a nice and energetic boy. So full of life.’ She then looked down at me and searched for something else kind to say. ‘And he has such lovely hair. The nicest hair, really.’ I watched as my mother folded her arms. Hmmm. That was interesting. It didn’t feel cold to me.

‘You see, the thing is, I believe that Gareth would be better served by … uh … attending a school more equipped to deal with his … er … condition.’ ‘I’m not following you,’ my mother replied, firm of both lip and tone. ‘What condition?’ As usual, I was one step ahead of my mother and now understood precisely what this meeting was about. I obviously needed to be sent to a school for kids with remarkable hair. Oh what a relief. Sound the trumpets. Let loose the monkeys from their cages. I wasn’t in trouble after all."

And so it begins, a quirky, humorous 'almost memoir' from Gareth Crocker, called Ka-Boom!




It's very funny, and stuffed with exploits and action - Gareth has had an interesting life.

Page 56 has this jewel...
"Now, please, don't get me wrong. I loved that old car. I loved the way it sounded. The way it smelled like the ocean for weeks after a trip to the coast. how beach sand remained trapped in its floor mats forever. Its springy seats. The fact that whenever I saw it pull into Rolene Avenue, I knew that it was carrying my father, the most magnificent human being ever to put on a pair of pants. A man who, for all of my 40 years, has lived on a pedestal so high that I can barely make out the colour of his shoes."
What do you think? The kind of book you'd love to read?

26 comments:

karen said...

Welcome to the fun of Book Beginnings & Friday 56! I always look forward to Fridays because of them!
This sounds like a hilarious read that I'll have to keep a look out for. Thanks for sharing!!!
Here's my post for the week: http://wellreadpiratequeen.blogspot.com/2015/12/bookbeginnings-friday56-alan-bradleys-i.html

Dual Reads said...

I haven't heard of this one before but I love the beginning and the 56 is great!
http://dualreads.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/friday-reads-4th-december-2015.html

Nicole said...

The writing is fun, not my usual style but if I see it at the library I would consider giving it a try. Happy Friday!

Bev Bouwer said...

Thank you for the welcome, and for sharing your post - looks like a fun read.

Bev Bouwer said...

It was published in October 2015, so is relatively new. I enjoyed your post too, thanks for sharing

Kathy Martin said...

This does sound good. Welcome to the meme. I am spotlighting both and alternate history book - The Inquisitor's Apprentice by Chris Moriarty - and a thriller - She Can Kill by Melinda Leigh - today. Happy reading!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I am definitely curious now. The beginning excerpt really shows us how easy it is for children to misunderstand what the adults are saying.

Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

Maria said...

This sounds like a really cute book! I love the beginning...special hair...lol...
Here's my Friday Meme post

sherry fundin said...

Welcome Bev and I hope you enjoy meeting the new people and finding new books. Happy reading.
sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

Unknown said...

It brings back some very good memories for me. I'd definitely keep reading it.

My 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/12/04/the-friday-56-87-shadows/

Bev Bouwer said...

Thanks. Will check your post out too- sounds interesting.

Bev Bouwer said...

Thanks for the visit and the feedback. Will check your post out too.

Bev Bouwer said...

Thanks for the welcome. Will visit you too. Have a great weekend.

Bev Bouwer said...

He writes in a way that everyone can relate. Thanks for sharing. Will return the visit.

Bev Bouwer said...

There is a longer excerpt here. http://www.brucedennill.co.za/extract-from-ka-boom-by-gareth-crocker/

It's a great opening, and I wanted to share more, but has to stop somewhere. Thanks for your comment.

Katherine P said...

Welcome to the Book Beginning and 56! I love these 2 memes though they're hazardous to my TBR!
I haven't heard of this book but I love the narrator's voice. I'm guessing it's a memoir? I'll definitely have to look for it.

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Hi Bev,

Thanks for stopping by Fiction Books this week. I love meeting new people, so I shall look forward to your visits and comments :)

I don't tend to read memoirs or biographies, so this book probably wouldn't be one for me, despite the humorous lines you shared from it.

Your post did however call me to action in checking out the author a little more and I am quite taken with Gareth's fiction writing. There are some intriguing storylines amongst them ... definitely an author to look out for, so thanks for sharing and have a great weekend :)

Yvonne

fredamans said...

You did a great job with your posting, got the lingo right and linked up correctly.
Thanks for joining in the 56! Your chosen book sounds full of laughs and one I would rather enjoy! Hope to see you regularly!
Happy weekend!

fredamans said...

I commented, and hope it got through. Just in case, welcome again to the 56! Hope to see you regularly. Love your choice this week, it sounds hilarious!
Happy weekend!

Bev Bouwer said...

Hi Yvonne. Thank you too - I also love meeting new people, and i really enjoy your blog. Gareth's most famous book is Finding Jack, and it was a beautiful read - about a dog who went to war in Vietnam. I reviewed it on y blog a few months ago.

Hope you have a great weekend.

Bev Bouwer said...

Thanks so much. Been overwhelmed by all the comments. Thanks for doing this every week - I'm sure I'll join again.

Bev Bouwer said...

Sorry I was asleep! Both now posted.

Bev Bouwer said...

Thanks for the visit. Yes it is a memoir, but he has written 6 other novels.

Anonymous said...

Lol, this sounds like such a fun read ^_^

Our BB

Bev Bouwer said...

It was lots of fun. Thanks for stopping by.

Lauren Stoolfire said...

Sounds like a lot of fun!

You're definitely in good company - thanks for sharing. :)

Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings), Music Monday, and TTT.