Friday 11 December 2015

Friday Book Blast

Welcome everyone and Happy Friday to all of you.

Last Friday I started participating in two Book Blog parties, both hosted weekly. I had so much fun, I am doing it again.

The first is BookBeginnings, hosted by Rose City Reader.

How it works is every Friday you share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. 

The second is The Friday 56, hosted by Freda's Voice, where you

* Grab a book, any book.
* Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader (If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
* Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) 


Here's the beginning...

"Ben Solomon stood before his bathroom mirror fumbling with his bow tie. He was eighty-three years old and getting dressed for Judgement Day. Years had come and gone since he had last worn his tuxedo, but then, Judgement Day was a black tie affair." 

The book is a gripping tale of two boys, once as close as brothers, who find themselves on opposite sides of the holocaust.

What looks fascinating is that it is told in the context of the accusation of Elliot Rosenzweig of being a former Nazi SS Officer. Attorney Catherine Lockhart must face not only a powerful adversary, but her own self doubts.

Here's the cover.





And now for the nugget from page 56...






"There’s all kinds of goofy rules. A non-Jew, who has never been inside a synagogue in his whole life, has Jewish blood if one of his parents was Jewish and he was born after the Law for the Protection of German Blood and Honour.” Ziggy took a sip of wine and laughed. “I guess Jewish blood flows through your veins with a Yiddish accent.”


Part history, part legal drama, this looks like it ticks a number of boxes.


I haven't started it yet, but I'm looking forward to reading it this weekend.
And the clincher...there's a sort of sequel. Saving Sophie. Which I have too. I can start it straight afterwards. Aren't I the lucky one?


Hope you all have a happy reading weekend. I can't wait to start.

28 comments:

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

Sounds fascinating. I am amazed at how much good literature has come out of the holocaust and Nazi Germany.
My Friday Quotes

Sandra Nachlinger said...

Sounds like a meaningful story with lots of layers. I hope you enjoy it.
My Friday post features FEVER SEASON.

Bev Bouwer said...

I agree, Anne. My initial thought on picking this up was - No, not another book on the topic. But this does look a little different to the others I have read.

Bev Bouwer said...

Thanks Sandra. I will pay you a visit. Have a great weekend.

Katherine P said...

This sounds really interesting! I love books with mysteries from the past and trying to determine if one man was an SS Officer sounds fascinating. I also love having the sequel ready to go! Enjoy your reading!

Maria said...

This sounds good - I like books and movies that deal with this subject - makes me think of the movie "Music Box" with Jessica Lange - Here's my Friday post

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Okay, this one does sound very intriguing....thanks for sharing. I can't wait to find out what happens.

Here's mine: “FOREVER, INTERRUPTED”

Bev Bouwer said...

Thanks Maria, and for sharing your post.

Bev Bouwer said...

I plan to Katherine. Thanks for the visit.

Vicki said...

I hope you enjoy this book!

Stormi said...

Sounds interesting.

Stormi
Friday Memes

Elizabeth said...

I read this...an excellent book. Heartbreaking, but oh so good.

THANKS for sharing and for the reminder.

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
My Book Beginnings

Kathy Martin said...

Sounds interesting. I'll be eager to see what you think about it. This week I am spotlighting The Royal Ranger by John Flanagan and Once Shadows Fall by Robert Daniels. Happy reading!

Elizabeth said...

I didn't know there was a sequel.

I know his next book is Saving Sophie, but it looks as if it is on a totally different subject unless I am mistaken.

Thanks again for sharing.

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
My Book Beginnings

Nicole said...

I have to be in the right type of mood to read holocaust books. I enjoy them even though most of them are so sad I end up crying several times. Happy Friday.

Unknown said...

Not sure if it's for me.But I've thought that before and been surprised:) Good for you, being able to go from one to the next. I sometimes wait for several books in a series to be released before I start them.

My 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/12/11/the-friday-56-88-somewhere-only-we-know/

Bev Bouwer said...

Thanks - you need the Kleenex this weekend, it appears. Happy reading.

Bev Bouwer said...

Thanks!

Bev Bouwer said...

Thanks for your comment. Seems we have similar taste in books - love your Violinist of Venice post. On my list.

Bev Bouwer said...

You are right, and one can read too many of these, and either be too sad, or too unfeeling. I haven't read one for a while though.

Bev Bouwer said...

I LOVE reading, knowing there are seven books to come. Especially when they are all written already. The worst is waiting a year for the next one. I'll stop by your blog today. Thanks for the visit.

Bev Bouwer said...

Since I have Saving Sophie (thank you dear hubby), I can say with authority that it also features Catherine Lockhart, the attorney in Once we were Brothers. But yes, it is about something different too - rescuing a girl who was kidnapped and thwarting a terrorist attack on Hebron. I can't wait.

Bev Bouwer said...

Thanks for your comment, Kathy. I thought both your books looked great - how do you read so much at once?

fredamans said...

Sounds like a fascinating read! Happy weekend!

Lauren Stoolfire said...

Sounds intriguing - I think I'll add it to my tbr. Hope you enjoy it! Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

sherry fundin said...

Sounds like a heavy read. I used to read a lot of World War II and history novels. Not so much any more, but I hope you are enjoying it.
sherry @ fundinmental My Sunday Memes

Bev Bouwer said...

And I'm done! Loved it. Sad, and the history was heavy, but a story well told. Thanks for the comment.

Bev Bouwer said...

It's worth it - i loved it. Thanks for the visit too.