Thursday 16 November 2017

What have we done by J.T. Lawrence

What Have We Done is the third in this scintillating series (When Tomorrow Calls), starting with Why You Were Taken and followed by How We Found You. If you want to jump straight in to this one, you can, but I'd read them in order, if I were you.



I'm starting to think that if J.T. Lawrence wrote - oh I don't know - a story about a vampire who falls love with a girl, for instance - I'd read it, love it and not find it clichéd. And I'm jaded, cynical and very well-read 😜. 

Seriously though, the writing talent here is exceptional. Let's start with the plot. Silver and Mally are fifteen now. Kate still lives in a just-future-enough-to-be-interesting Johannesburg, and Silver disappears on the eve of her sixteenth birthday. It's dangerous to be out - there's a suspected AI virulent uprising, but Kate and Keke set off to find her. Meanwhile Agent Zack is in a penal colony, safe and sound, or trapped and about to be terminated - who knows? And he must find Kate. We know these characters from the earlier books, and their forays into a starkly concrete harsh SA, where violence is the order of the day - with unexpected appearances by bots, drones and the like will have you on the edge of your seat. And there you'll stay until the jawbreaking ending, which I loved loved loved. Life and death situations are faced every hour, every minute; decisions to be made in less than a heartbeat - with dire consequences either way - left me gasping.

I'm really not the best person to advertise this kind of book. I'm even insecure writing this review, because I don't know the jargon. If you look at my reading shelves you'll find mostly crime, some history and even a little nonfiction.  But you'll also find everything written by J.T. Lawrence. She's that good. 

"Cyberpunk meets the robopocalypse on the edge of litRPG in this dark dystopian thriller. Jack in and get ready for a headsplosion with this third book in the riveting series When Tomorrow Calls.

Ready? Your next addiction starts now."

So take an adventure into a world you haven't read before. It's a bit like a rollercoaster ride - scary at first, but so much of fun. And when you're done -  exhilarated, smiling, and maybe even slightly exhausted from reading a whole book in one sitting, come back and thank me for making you do it. You will.

5 stars

J.T's other books (that I've read);

The Underachieving Ovary
The Memory of Water
Why You Were Taken
How We Found You

More book recommendations.

No comments: