Tuesday 14 November 2017

Her Every Fear by Peter Swanson

Peter Swanson gave us The Kind Worth Killing last year, which was, in equal parts unputdownable, twisty and turny, and loads of complete surprises. Her Every Fear has a great premise, which promises to deliver  a similar sort of reading experience.

"Following a brutal attack, Kate Priddy makes the uncharacteristically bold decision of moving from London to Boston - in an apartment swap with her cousin, Corbin Dell.

But soon after her arrival Kate makes a shocking discovery: Corbin's next-door neighbour, Audrey Marshall, may have been murdered.

Far from home and emotionally unstable, her imagination playing out her every fear, who can Kate trust?"

I'm generally a very forgiving reader. I'll often miss huge plot holes, suspend my disbelief for the sake of a good story, and miss the major mistakes other more observant readers point out with glee. Let's call me an "experiential reader". If you write so that I enjoy it, I don't actually want to be too critical, because I am filled with admiration that you wrote a book. But here there was something not quite right with the experience. It was a great story, and the pages turned with enviable speed, but somehow I wasn't quite as immersed as I could have been.

A satisfying ending, and loads of suspense was created, but as I said - not a complete reading experience.

3.5 stars.

ISBN:9780571327102

You may also enjoy Here and Gone by Haylen Beck or Behind her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough.

SaveSave

No comments: