Thursday 21 April 2016

Night Road by Kristin Hannah


I have a hit and miss relationship with Kristin Hannah. I loved The Nightingale. I didn't enjoy Between Sisters all that much. But this one, I have to say, was a hit.

It starts with no small degree of predictability. Rich kids - Mia and Zach - are twins, with a helicopter parent for a mother. Lexie is the orphan with an unmentionable past, living with her great aunt in a trailer, but attending the same school as the twins. Here goes, I think - besties with the twins, even though one of them is a loner, the other a "pop" - mom won't let her in, blah blah blah.

But it surprised me. It didn't go like that at all. And then, the last third of the book had me. Completely. I read compulsively, between my tears and gasps, and found it to be heartening and satisfying.

Some of the characters were a little overdone. Others too good to be true. The messages about friendship, true love and teenage drinking were also a bit much. But there was something in this book that was special. A warmth and realness of humanity that gets us through bad times. A redemptive element that spoke to me. 

A great emotional read.

4 stars

ISBN: 9780312364434

You may also enjoy The girls by Lisa Jewell or Big little lies by Liane Moriarty


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with you having a hit and miss relationship with Kristin Hannah's books. Her book 'A Winter's Garden' was really well written with a sophisticated plot and cleverly crafted, whereas 'Firefly Lane' left me a little disapointed and the plot frustrated me, although the end was moving and did bring some tears. I wasn't going to read any of more of her books but I might try Night Road.

Bev Bouwer said...

Thanks for the comment. Since you agree with me, I may have to try A Winter's Garden! 😉