Wednesday 18 November 2015

Good old favourites #1

It has been a while, foodies...

....since I've shared recipes from my kitchen.


Maybe that's because this is our kitchen lately.




Jokes. The real reason is I have been tormented by trying to come up with a new "theme". You see, I think food without a story is boring. That's why if you come to my house for dinner, you always get lots of stories. Every time. Just ask my children. They will roll their eyes in response.

But peeps, I think I have it. The new theme.

I was thinking that I have one rule for all the recipes I post: Must be something I've tried and tested. Must be something that the family like (and with teenagers that's not so easy peasy). Must be healthy. (No salt, no sugar, and low carbs being my mantras).

Ok, that's three, maybe four rules. I can't count. Please don't ask me what my day job is.

This my series of recipes that follow all my rules. This is what makes me happy. Having rules to follow. (Yes, I am the person in Scrabble, Monopoly and Trivial Pursuit, who not only reads the Rules, but has been known to quote them. Aloud. In polite company. My kids won't play games with me anymore. In fact, no one will.)

So here's the first of the healthy recipes that has become an old favourite in our house.

Butternut and mushroom lasagne 

Ingredients: 


The version that my nephew made
250g butternut, cubed
30 ml olive oil
Onion, thinly sliced
250g mushrooms, sliced, or quartered
40g butter
40g flour
10ml Thyme
500 ml milk
5 ml mustard
50ml parmesan cheese
Lasagne sheets
100g cheddar cheese
50g feta cheese

Method:

Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Roast butternut in a little oil – cooked but still in shape. Heat rest of oil in pan and fry onion till translucent. Add mushrooms, cook for 1 minute.

In another pot, melt butter, add flour and cook for 1 minute. Add thyme and add milk slowly, stirring quickly. Cook until thick and add parmesan and mustard.

Layer the mushroom and onions with the lasagna, butternut and spoon of white sauce. End with lasagne sheets and rest of white sauce. Sprinkle with feta and cheddar and bake for 40 minutes at 180.

“Healthy?” I hear you asking. “With all that cheese?” Ummm, this is where for the “kids must enjoy this” rule, I have sacrificed the “no salt” rule. But this will be nearly as good if you use this parmesan replacement (which has no salt). Click the pic for the description online. And leave me a comment below if you want to order online in SA - I’ll post the link.



Also leave out the cheese topping – replace with a herb seasoning. Carb watchers can replace the lasagne with carb free, or use aubergines or marrows as a replacement, or an addition (with the mushrooms) making it even more healthy. My kids adore lasagne. But it’s got to be real.

Tried and tested = Check, we have this once a week, and have made it for friends

Kids test = Check, they love it with the cheese. And ask my nephew - his verdict: YUM!

Healthy = Almost check - loads of vegetables, and you can make it better with replacements, additions, or just using less cheese.


The Good Old Favourite series...
#1 - Butternut and mushroom lasagne                         #2 - Chicken Pie
#3 -Beef stroganoff                                                           #4 - Fish and baby vegetables
#5 - Quick Vegetable Korma                                           #6 - Moussaka
#7 - Wheat free chicken lasagna                                     #8 - Quinoa and roasted vegetables
#9 - Spinach and mushroom strogonoff                       #10 - Thai fish Cakes
#11 - Rigatoni with tomato and corn salsa                    #12 - Vegetarian Aubergine Lasagne
#13 - Chicken with Cherry Tomatoes                             #14 - Vegetable Tikka Masala 
#15 - Beef Broth

More recipes

No comments: