Sunday 21 June 2015

Ms Conception by Pamela Power


4 out of 5 stars

This story is so familiar and true to life. In a very good way. Those of us who have balanced a career, breastfeeding, young toddlers, all the while worrying about keeping our husbands moderately happy will relate.

I loved the unashamed South-African-ness of it. Too often, I read novels set in this country that are serious and worry too much about being on the right side of the political fence and portraying the correct picture of all the many issues that trouble our country (still). But reading, for me, is an escape, and it was a welcome change to read a story that could have been me, or my neighbor, but so much funnier. Pamela Power nailed the little things, and for me, that made this more absorbing. The relaxed, confident writing style also contributed to my enjoyment.

A lighthearted look at the pain and joy of motherhood and the stress of trying to hold things together in a man’s world. It is a quick and easy way to pass the afternoon, and the book will fit in your baby bag without weighing you down. I wish it had been published when I was still in that phase. This book is fun, and doesn't take itself too seriously. A perfect antidote to all the angst elsewere.

You will enjoy this if you liked Good Enough Mother by Sam Cowen or any Marian Keyes books.


ISBN: 9781920532246

You may also like Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty. Or for more fun, try Three to Get Deadly by Janet Evanovich

Here are all my reviews and recommendations.

No comments: