Thursday 7 May 2015

The Legacy of Elizabeth Pringle by Kirsty Wark


2 out of 5 stars
I really wanted to like this book more. I will start with the worst things.

The story was told in a very laborious fashion, which frustrated me. Martha finds she is the unlikely heir of Elizabeth's house, which still contains all her possessions. The story of Elizabeth Pringle is told in parallel, through journal entries that Martha is not privy to. The story had potential, but the telling didn't suit it - the big reveal right near the end for instance just didn't seem to fit with the flow. I also felt annoyed that
Martha's mother and sister didn't have authentic stories with any resolution.

What kept me reading was the imagery, which was gorgeous. The narrator (Audible book) was spot on - she managed to get the changes in inflection so that you knew who was speaking, but not too different that it sounded contrived. The accents were delightful.

Not a total waste of time, but I didn't want to drop everything and read this book.


ISBN:  9781444777611

No comments: